Pourable Fondant

Decorating By sarahharpmusic Updated 8 May 2015 , 7:49pm by maybenot

sarahharpmusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahharpmusic Posted 7 May 2015 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 7

I recently heard about pourable fondant and I was wondering if anyone here prefers it to the rolling fondant? Is it possible to cover a 2 tier cake with pourable fondant? I always have a hard time getting my rolling fondant at a consistency easy to work with (especially in the humid summers). I guess I am trying to figure out the pros and cons of pourable vs rollable fondant and what your favorite recipes for bother are.  Thank you to anyone who replies!

6 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 May 2015 , 12:19am
post #2 of 7

Pourable fondant and rolled fondant are really different.  Pourable you would use on petit fours and dip cupcake tops in.  I've never seen a two tiered cake covered in pourable fondant, only the mini cakes.

alexius007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alexius007 Posted 8 May 2015 , 1:06am
post #3 of 7

I have some old Wilton books that have tiered cakes done in poured fondant and IMO they look...not good.  It's kind of glossy and almost has a transparency to it.  Not as good coverage as rolled fondant.  

Pastrybaglady Posted 8 May 2015 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 7
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 May 2015 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 7

Okay, here's one... #yuck

http://craftdictator.com/2014/04/30/whip-wednesday-poured-fondant/

Oh, that was actually stacked cookies, but close up like that approximates a cake and still YUCK!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 8 May 2015 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 7

Poured fondant is a thick glaze.  You can do multiple layers, but it will never look as good--or hold up as well--as rolled fondant.

It's more trouble than it's worth.  If it's tough to do nicely on petit fours, think of how hard it would be to do it on an entire cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%