Strawberry And Cream Filling

Baking By mrsg1111 Updated 7 May 2015 , 4:29pm by Natka81

mrsg1111 Posted 7 May 2015 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all,

I am making a cake for a friend.  THey requested fresh strawberries and cream filling.  I have made it once before for them where I placed thin sliced layer of strawberries first then the whipped cream on top.  THe whole time I was worried that the cream was going to squeeze down/out.  Would it be better (or worse) to chop the strawberries and fold into the cream?  would the water release and mess up the cream?

all input  is much appreciated.

2 replies
-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2015 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 3

when i do this i whip the cream properly  that is -- whipped cream will turn into butter if it's whipped too long right? so you whip it till it's almost butter but still whipped cream that way the whipped cream will not weep or separate and needs no stabilization -- it's its own stabilizer --

then i pipe a tall buttercream dam around the layer then put a thin layer of whipped cream within that then i lay the strawberries in like a mosaic and i use a thick layer then another layer of whipped cream on top of that --

if you wash & dry your berries then cut them with a sharp knife they will leak the least -- and you have to keep that refrigerated so the cold cream holds all that in like a plastic bag -- it's a beautiful thing -- add some booze to the cream which makes chantilly c ream and just tell what time to show up :) hahaha

Natka81 Posted 7 May 2015 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 3

Would it squeeze out or not, depends on what kind of cake you are using. Generally American bakers use heavy cakes and whipped cream  by it self is too light for those. You can put a buttercream dam for peace of mind.

I bake 3 ingredient italian sponge.This kind of cake is not heavy and goes well with whipped cream.

I chop the strawberries  in small pieces and cut away the white part of strawberry, it's tasteless. 

Put them on top of whipped cream, instead of under whipped cream. 

I would not mix strawberries into whipped cream simply because it looks like a lazy mess.

I haven't noticed much juice sipping from store bought strawberries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%