Is Ghirardelli Baking Chips The Same As Baker's Baking Bars?

Baking By Joshua549 Updated 7 May 2015 , 5:55pm by BakerBlackCat

Joshua549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua549 Posted 6 May 2015 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, does anyone know if Ghirardelli baking chips and Baker's baking bars the same? I am thinking of using the baking chips for baking because the bars are expensive and I looked on ingredients and it says the same ingredients. Although I still want to know because there could be a reason why baking bars are more expensive. If anyone could help Thanks!

2 replies
Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 7 May 2015 , 3:39am
post #2 of 3

Yes and no. And all inbetween.

Just bake the recipe both ways, you'll immediately see if you have incorporation issues and also get a blind tester to see if they notice any difference. Eating chocolate out of hand is different than in a baked good. 

if your test comes out the cheaper product is serviceable to you, what does it ultimately matter? 

BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBlackCat Posted 7 May 2015 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 3

It also depends on what purpose you're using them for.  Chips are designed to keep their shape despite the heat, so if you're baking the chocolate in the recipe, the chips are the way to go.  If you're melting the chocolate; however, this feature won't help, and you're better off chopping up bar chocolate.  (When tempering chocolate, I always use couverture bars, highest quality I can find, and a little goes a long way.  I also save every scrap of that, so it also helps to keep the cost down.)

I'd do the same as Rfisher suggests, and bake using both, and see what happens.  The melty bars will produce a different mouthfeel than the stay-together chips, and then the only question is which effect you prefer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%