Chalk Board Cake

Decorating By cake-o-holic Updated 6 May 2015 , 2:17pm by ypierce82

cake-o-holic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-o-holic Posted 6 May 2015 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 3

Looking to do something like this.  Just wondering what i would use for the writing? and how to get that white wash affect.  Maybe use white americolour airbrush liquid?

http://cakegeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/chalkboard-wedding-cake-by-the-Artisan-Cake-Co.jpg

2 replies
SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 6 May 2015 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 3

I'm pretty sure it was done using candy melts. Check out this video: 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 6 May 2015 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 3

You can use the gel food color to paint the design on, or use candy melts. I used the candy melt method to do fondant chalkboard cupcake toppers. I wanted them to look like a chalk board that has been erased. I let the fondant set up a bit and then I used a paint brush to brush on some powdered sugar....that part came out perfect. The problem with the candy melts is that, well, they melt. I kept the whole bag in the freezer and pulled out a few at a time. Once you break it in half to "write" with it,  you have one point on each end to write with; I began to cut them into four pieces. It took 2 bags to complete 280 of the toppers. If I were doing a cake, I would probably paint on the details then once they have dried, go back with a brush and some sugar to get the white washed effect, but either method would work.  Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%