How Much Should I Charge For Cake Balls?

Business By calvarykari Updated 5 Jul 2007 , 6:22pm by sassyredhead

calvarykari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 17

I am making and packaging cake balls in a half pound box for someone and I am not sure how much to charge. I am planning on putting 10 balls per box. I will be making 3 flavors, chocolate, berry and cinnamon. Any suggestions on pricing would be helpful.

16 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 17

Thank you so much. I did a search and could not find the posts. This is a big help.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 17

I charge $9.50 for a bakers dozen.

mommarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommarivera Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 17

I want to try these one day. They sound delicous!!

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 11:33am
post #6 of 17

I charge $7.50 a dz with a minimun of 2 dz. I dress up the top with a fondant accent suited for their occasion. It's a good way to get your name out there with something that tastes so good. I package them in a box 9x9x2. It will hold 2 doz. People will order them 6 dz at a time. I also use them as samples when I visit stores who let me put my business card in their shops. To me it shows your doing more than just selling something your giving them a chance to experience something great. Pam from Bama

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 17

I've personally renamed these "Cruffles." Please feel free to use it if you like it.

"Cake Balls" sounds well . . .

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 17

must have read my mind, I just made my 1st batch last night.... just tasted it, liked it.... are they supposed to be soft in the middle? I put them in the fridge, serve them cold, overall yummy little creatures. Anyway, as I was slaving over them I pondered what to charge for them too.... so thanks for asking for me icon_smile.gif

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 17

I make 2 sizes: Large is about 1 tablespoon and mini is 1 teaspoon. I charge $12 for 1 dozen large or 2 dozen minis. The customer has several flavors to choose from and the chocolate is flavored to match. HTH

Edited to add: I have also rolled them in powdered sugar or crushed nuts. And then I put them in a box, with colored tissue and a ribbon on the outside to tie it up. They are very decorative. I have one customer that purchases 6 dozen each month. I do give a discount for larger orders like that.

SugarBakerz Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 17

how is the inside texture actually supposed to be?

SugarBakerz Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 17

anyone? The inside texture of my cake ball, should it be cakey, mushy, just wondering if I added too much or not enough of the creamer?

wolfley29 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 17

I refridgerate mine, so my bites are harder on the outside than the inside. The inside is moist, but not creamy or overly mushy. HTH

SugarBakerz Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:11pm
post #13 of 17

it does but is it cakey or doughey? i know that sounds strange but i am confused.... my chocolate is firm but the inside is soft and chewy.... i just don't know what it is supposed to be texture wise on the inside,,,, can anyone compare it to anything?

wolfley29 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:59pm
post #14 of 17

It is more doughy than cakey. You don't see or taste the crumbs, kind of like pre-cooked cookie dough, just held together better in a ball. I guess that is the best way for me to describe it.

SugarBakerz Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:03pm
post #15 of 17

ok, I will let DH taste one when he gets home and see what he thinks icon_smile.gif Good luck with your DH returning... you better BAKE him something yummy!

wolfley29 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:20pm
post #16 of 17

Okay, I am hoping that people can understand from these pictures. I thought since consistency seems to be a question that I would show what mine look like. It is like a tootsie roll mixture, where I can smooth itreal easy like. Now, this is only my recipe, so others may look different, and taste different. Not trying to say mine are any better than others.

I usually mix it up and wrap it in saran wrap. Then toss that in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Then I pull it out and measure out and roll each ball as per order requested. Anything left over is wrapped again in saran wrap and foil, labeled and placed back in freezer until next time. HTH
LL
LL
LL

sassyredhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassyredhead Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:22pm
post #17 of 17

I made these for the first time over the weekend and served them yesterday. I was really disappointed when I made them though, because when i tried to dip them in the white chocolate, the chocolate wouldn't stick to them. Instead, the gooey cake ball came off into the chocolate. This was after having them in the freezer for a few hours, then pulling them out to coat them. I only had 3 that coated properly with chocolate so I just dusted the rest with powdered sugar. Overall, the reviews of how they tasted were not that overwhelming either. Now I have over 40 mediocre cake balls in my freezer that I wonder if I should just throw away. Has anyone else been less than impressed with these?

Maybe it was the flavor that didn't impress people. I let my husband chose and he chose chocolate rasberry...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%