Buttercream Dream Recipe - Will It Crust?

Decorating By mom23girlstoo Updated 20 Feb 2013 , 9:16pm by darcynurse

mom23girlstoo Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 17

I'm a newbie icon_biggrin.gif and of course, like everyone else, really dislike the taste of Wilton's Buttercream recipe.

I'm making the buttercream dream frosting, but it doesn't say if it will crust? icon_confused.gif

Thank you everyone for your help! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
mkolmar Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 17

Yes!!!!! It tastes good and will crust well too.

mom23girlstoo Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 17

If it doesn't icon_confused.gif is it because it's too thin?

Does it matter if I'm at high alltitude? icon_rolleyes.gif

Momof4luvscakes Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 17

That is what I use all the time and it crusts nicely. It might take a little longer if it is too thin, but I have never had a problem with it not crusting!

CHICKADEE298 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 17

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie also and i've been looking through the site but i haven't been able to find the buttercream dream frosting that you have been talking about. I'm going to try and make a drum cake for my husbands birthday and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips. Thanks.

Cathy icon_smile.gif

Tug Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 2:49am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKADEE298

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie also and i've been looking through the site but i haven't been able to find the buttercream dream frosting that you have been talking about. I'm going to try and make a drum cake for my husbands birthday and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips. Thanks.

Cathy icon_smile.gif

Here you go Cathy:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2123-Buttercream-Dream.html

mjjandz Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 17

do you guys use this recipe to frost the cake as well? if not what is a good buttercream recipe to use?
Thanks

Momof4luvscakes Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 17

That is what I use to frost my cakes. The first pic in my photos was frosted with it and it smoothed so nice.

mjjandz Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 17

thanks, your cakes are wonderful.

mkolmar Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 17

I use this to frost my cakes as well.

mis Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 17

Since this uses butter will this be a yellowish color? I'm looking for a different BC icing and want a white color. TIA

patygpm Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 4:13pm
post #12 of 17

I also use this for my cakes and it does crust!

CHICKADEE298 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 2:39am
post #13 of 17

Thank you everyone for your help. I'm searching thru the internet to figure out different ways to make some other kind of version of this cake.

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/childrens-birthday-cake.html#c2

I want to make it a little bit bigger than what this person made it (for my husband's bday) and I wasn't sure whether i should use gum paste, fondant or if I'm suppose to use both. I'm thinking I would take a 9x13 and use as a stage to put the drums on. This is going to be the first cake that i make like this. I've only made cake pan boxed cakes so any tips, hints, HELP!!!!!! is greatly appreciated. Basically i need someone to teach me baby steps like a new student. Again, thanks everyone for any help that you can give icon_biggrin.gif

mom23girlstoo Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 5:01am
post #14 of 17

mis,

I did find this recipe to make "white" icing. I can't call it snow white white, but it was white. I'm told that health food stores carry butter that hasn't been dyed yellow.

It does taste wonderful, crusts great and it beautiful to work with.

You should try it! icon_biggrin.gif

mis Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 2:30pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks mom23girlstoo!! I will give it a try.

cinderspritzer Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 2:37pm
post #16 of 17

I use the buttercream dream at high altitude all the time and have never had a problem with it crusting. as for the yellow, if you take a TINY BIT of violet and mix it in, it will counter-balance the yellow and make it white

darcynurse Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 9:16pm
post #17 of 17

If it will not crust, it may be because the shortening that you are using is transfat free. I have found that I have not gotten great crusting it is when I am using crisco which is now transfat free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%