mcginnis Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 7:09pm
post #1 of

I have a question on how to use luster dust.

I have seen many pictures where luster dust is used on chocolate pieces, flowers and even on top of icing. It almost looks like paint!

I have tried using luster dust and have had no luck. I used gold luster dust on chocolate pieces and it looked like sugar, (even though I used luster dust), and it melted right off!
I have tried thinning it with extract to use it as a paint, and all it did was crumble up on the brush.
The gold luster dust I used looked more like yellow instead of the metallic look.
Does anyone have any tips for me on how to make the most of this?
Thanks!
lisa (mcginnis)

5 replies
NEWTODECORATING Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 7:38pm
post #2 of

I am hoping someone with more experience sees this and helps more than I can. I just used old gold luster dust and super pearl dust on choc. candies for a party. You can check them out in my photos. This was my first expierence using it and I LOVED it. I tried making a paint mixing some of the dust with vodca and painting on the choc. -didn't work great- so I tried just dry brushing it on. That was wonderful! It made such a huge difference in the looks of the sea shells.

bulldog Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 7:40pm
post #3 of

I asked the question "How do you paint with luster dust?" It is posted in the How Do I? section. I basically got the answer mix with alcohol or lemon extract until it looks like paint, and then paint with it. Look for that posting there was lots of good advice. I have tried that, and it has worked wonderfully. I have used the luster dust called Super Gold, and liked it. Good Luck. Let me know how it goes for you

peacockplace Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 7:50pm
post #4 of

Juat wondering... are you using uster dust or the stuff you buy at Michael's? I've never had a problem with my luster dust, but the Micheal's stuff is not nearly as good.

antonia74 Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 7:53pm
post #5 of

I always find you get the "true" metallic colour when you do two coats. Do one, let it dry an hour or so...then go back over the colour a second time and that's when that amazing metal shine appears.

Also, don't thin your powder out too much or it won't work well. Just a few drops of liquid is more than enough for say, 1/2 tsp of powder.

Instead of wasting any of the powders, use little egg cups to mix them and when you have finished one job, keep it in a tiny Ziploc baggie for the next time you need it...just add a few fresh drops of liquid and mix up again.

mcginnis Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 8:07pm
post #6 of

Thanks for the tips everyone.

The luster dust I have is from an internet company. I do not live near a Micheal's.
I believe I could be using a shimmer dust instead of a luster dust. I know for a fact that the gold they sent me was not a metallic gold. It was yellow.
Could anyone let me know where to purchase the right stuff?
Thanks!
lisa (mcginnis)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%