Smash Cake And Pricing Question (I Know, I Know...)

Decorating By pooker Updated 27 Sep 2005 , 9:44pm by pooker

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 7

I have someone requesting a smash cake be on top of the regular cake. The smash cake will be a lion on top of a 1/2 sheet cake - in the corner.

How do I put this on there so that it is removable to give to the birthday boy? Do I just do the dowel rod thing, or can I put it on a ckae board or something?

Also, a price question. I know you are all so tired of them, but this is my really first paid cake. It is the 1/2 sheet and smash cake. I'm a beginner at the decorating, and the person who ordered knows this. So I do not want to cahrge a price like some of you do simply because I am new at this. What do you think would be a good "beginner" fee?

Also, what do you usually charge for a smash cake?

Thank you so much!

6 replies
ken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ken Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 7

pooker,

I've only been decorating for a few months now and after looking at some of your cakes, I wouldn't think you were a "beginner". You put just as much time and effort into your cakes as someone who has been doing this for years. Think about your supplies, your time, and your work (designs). I'm really not sure what you should charge but try not to cheat yourself just because you are a "beginner". Hope this helps! - Ken

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 7

I made a cake with a removable teddy bear for the smash cake. I ran a dowel down through it so it wouldn't fall over and placed it on it's own small cake board so they could put a knife or server under it and lift it off. I covered the top of the dowel with a cowboy hat (luckily it was a western theme) and told them to simply pull the dowel up from the bottom cake and then use it to stabalize the bear while they moved it. It worked great!

Debbie

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 7

pooker,

What size is the lion going to be?

I agree with ken, your cakes are beautiful and you use the same things as everyone else so charge the full price.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 7

I ussually offer the smash cake free of charge for the 1st birthday...but then its not a 3d cake....A small round....with a few decorations.... otherwise maybe 5-10 dollars for something special ...afterall it is for one person.... Dont be like me my beginner cakes were tooo cheap....

after seeing your work I wuld charge $35-40 for the 1/2 sheet

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 7

I charge $40 for a 1/2 sheet cake.

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone. The smash cake will be a lion made from the mini-bear pan. The stand up one.

I tried the pricing matrix and it came up with around $40, so that was what I decided to charge. I am SOOOOO glad some of you suggested or would charge the same.

And thank you for the kind words on my decorating! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%