New Mexico?

Business By prettycakes Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 12:02am by Smashme

prettycakes Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 2:43am
post #1 of 11

I am wanting to bake cakes at home. I love it and friends are beggining to notice my work. I am afraid to start selling cakes because I don't know the regulations here in New Mexico. So, right now, I give away alot of "practice" cakes.

Anyway, I am not sure if I can just get a business license and have someone come inspect my home or what?

Thanks for your help!

10 replies
roundnugget Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 3:05am
post #2 of 11

I am new to the baking seen since May 05. Like you I have been making at least 1 - 2 cakes a week and need to get information about getting the correct regulations in New Mexico. Currently I have been giving or telling folks to atleast pay for supplies. A lot of my cakes have been practice but they been a big hit in the office.

If you should find any information, please pass along. I would really be gratefull.

mvigil Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 11

WELCOME to Cake Central to the both of you !! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

When I first started to make cakes fr my family and friends they were all telling me to make business cards or put up a flyer at my post office and yes I really wanted to but I knew I better call for regulations first to find out icon_confused.gif . What if one day I want to put a little bakery out here .
So I called Sandoval County since I live in Pena Blanca and I just asked if I could just put up flyers and a very nice lady gave me alot of other ways to do it . See you have to have a comercial kitchen to able to sell to the publlic ,and that would be the only way to get a business Lisence.
But she also said to ask my local community center to ask if I could rent there kitchen I could get a licence that way .

Sooo I guess you would have to call your local county to see what they say .

But if you are bieng asked by family and friends thats a nice little way to make a few bucks. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Uner the table that is ! icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif

mom4kidsnm Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 11

The only way to have a legal cake business in New Mexico is to use a commercial kitchen. If you want one in your home, it must be completely separate from your own kitchen with a door that can close. No personal cooking or baking can take place in the commercial kitchen. I believe there must also be a bathroom, but I can't remember for sure on that part. Your kitchen must meet the food preparation guidelines of the state and be inspected by the state. For more information, you can contact the state environmental department (of all the weird places!). They should have a field office in each county. Basically, the state of New Mexico has made it very difficult for a small cake business to operate. You have to either build or rent a commercial kitchen.

mvigil Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 11

Welcome to you too mom4kidsnm thumbs_up.gif

You are right it is difficult thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif
I guess its the same in every county icon_sad.gif

What part of NM are you from??

mom4kidsnm Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 11

I'm in Rio Rancho.

mvigil Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 11
Originally Posted by mom4kidsnm

I'm in Rio Rancho.

Thats just about 30 or some miles from were I am.

I think that makes about 6 of us here on Cake Central from New Mexico !! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

That I know of any ways. icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

CakesbyM_LC Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 11

i too am from nm, that is all very helpful info...thx!

mvigil Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 11

Welcome to CC !! You will have so much fun on this site!!

mommy3204 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 11

im from new mexico too, Im from Roswell!!

Smashme Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:02am
post #11 of 11

hope this will help some of you
i'm in rio rancho too

Quote by @%username% on %date%