mconrey Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:30am
post #1 of

Okay, I am attempting a 3D Mystery Machine van (Scooby Doo). This is my very first paid cake for a "real" client.

I baked 2 12 X 12 cakes and cut in half to make a van that is 12 inches long and 6 inches wide. I am then going to stack 3 (or maybe 4) of these layers to create a van that is 6 inches (or so) tall.

Now, my question is, what do I need to do to support this?? I was going to use 2 wooden dowels and "hammer" then into the foam core base. However, now I'm getting nervous that 4 layers of cake are not going to do well stacked on top of one another. Should I put cardboard in the middle and have 2 layers below and 2 on top with additional dowels on the bottom?? What if I only use 3 layers of cake and not 4? Will it be okay with just the 2 dowels?? I also have to transport this cake approx 15 miles.

I need help! I am so nervous that this cake is just going to fall over. Oh, it is the WASC cake with a raspberry filling if that makes a difference...

Thanks guys!

10 replies
nglez09 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:38am
post #2 of

Is there going to be filling in these cakes? If it's going to be 6" tall, I don't think you have a big problem. I'd "lock" the cakes in with a few dowels though- just to be safe. thumbs_up.gif

nglez09 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:39am
post #3 of

So wait, two cakes? I wouldn't bother with the cardboard. I think you'll be fine with just the sticks through the cakes to keep them in place. JMO.

nefgaby Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:40am
post #4 of

How tall do you think your cake will end up being? I did a spongebob cake, was 5" tall and had NO problems, it is higher than 6" I would dowel in the middle (that is also what Collete Peters recommends in one of her books). What a cool cake, can´t wait see pictures. Good luck.

mconrey Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:42am
post #5 of

It's going to be one cake - 12 inches long, 6 inches wide, and 6 inches tall. I'm just beginning to worry about it being top heavy or the bottom layer not being able to support the weight of the other layers. Sorry about the confusion.

Anyone else have suggetions?? Will I be okay with just 2 dowels or should I consider a center support of a layer of cardboard???

reenie Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:43am
post #6 of

I did just that for my first cake purse. Had to do 3 layers with a board in between the second and third layers. The only advise I can give you is to dowel it straight down the middle and then do two X's (like a tent) on either side of that so it won't topple over on it's side (at least that's the idea). Make sure they go through that board though. Can't stress that enough. Good luck.

mconrey Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:59am
post #7 of

Yikes - now I think I'm more scared than when I started. I'm having nightmares that this thing is going to fall over!

dodibug Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:07am
post #8 of

So you will have 4 layers of cake? Then this is like any tiered cake-no different because they are all the same size. Place the top 2 layers on a cake board and dowel the cake and use a long center dowel. You can't go wrong with proper construction especially since someone is paying for this cake and it will most likely have to be transported.

Good luck and post a pic of it here so we can see it!

cakenutz Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:10am
post #9 of

Don't panic you will be fine Just think of it this way. We stack wedding cakes alot higher and heavier. I think I would put 4 dowels in, in a 4" square in the middle. IMO HTH GOOD LUCK! icon_smile.gif

cakenutz Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:13am

Don't panic you will be fine Just think of it this way. We stack wedding cakes alot higher and heavier. I think I would put 4 dowels in, in a 4" square in the middle. IMO HTH GOOD LUCK! icon_smile.gif

oops mistake you said 6' wide that would be 4' apart lengthwise and about 2 " widthwise rectangle not square DUH

mconrey Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 4:28am

Okay - I decided to play it safe since this thing has to be transported.

I am using a piece of cardboard in the middle along with dowels on the bottom and a center dowel going through the entire thing. Thanks for your help guys - I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%