How To Make Stained Glass Butterfly?

Decorating By Cake4ever Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 8:06pm by bobwonderbuns

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 18

In the link she gave us, it shows how to make stained glass butterflies with gel. Does anyone know the specifics?

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 18

I would be interested in knowing how to do the stained glass butterfly myself. I have a friend who's birthday is coming up and she would love a butterfly cake.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 18

I did stained glass butterflies on this cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_94472.html

I didn't do them with gel though, I did them with smashed jolly rancher candies baked in a silicone mold. If this is what you want instructions for, let me know.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:14am
post #4 of 18

@bobwonderbuns
would you mind sending me the instructions as well please? [email protected]
They look wonderful

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 18

Here are the instructions sent to me by Pilar of Sunflower Sugar Art. I've done these butterflies and they work beautifully. Thanks Pilar!! icon_biggrin.gif

On the candy butterfly molds.... they have to be made the last minute is like working with pull sugar, the only difference is that the candy is already made. I use the jolly ranchers, but any hard candy will work, even Halls!!!, the only thing is the strong flavor and strong smell!!! but they work!

Crush the hard candies on a small food proccessor.

Cover a small baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.

Fill the silicone mold with the crushed candy, (you have to overfill in a mountain shape with the crushed candy, because when it melts is going to "shrink")

If this is a large butterfly or a shell you can play with different colors of candy.

Preheat your oven at 350*F

Place the prepared mold with the crushed candy on the prepared baking sheet and bake it for 5 to 10 minutes, this will depend on the size of the cavity, for a 2 1/2" butterfly flat mold it will be 5 minutes, if it is a 4' mold and deep it will probably take longer (10 minutes.)

Take the mold out of the oven and let it cool before unmolding NOTE: HOT CANDY WILL BURN BADLY!!! The candy piece is ready to unmold when it is easy to unmold.

If you want to bend the wings of the butterfly, you could unmold the piece when the mold is still warm and the sugar piece does not stick to the mold. At that point I put them in the butterfly former (a rectangular piece of cardboard folded in half lengthwise, covered with nonstick foil. Put the center of the butterfly down toward the center fold with the wings going up the sides at an angle and let dry completely.)

The large monarch butterfly mold looks beautiful when made with orange or red hard candy and after is made it could be paint with black on the veins.

These silicone molds can be made also with chocolate or even soap or candle wax.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 1:59am
post #6 of 18

Do you have a pic of the mold or where do you get yours from? I'm not sure whether I can use the one I have, as sugar gets so hot
Thx for the instructions

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 2:09am
post #7 of 18

I would also like to know about the molds you used. Thanks.

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 3:29am
post #8 of 18

I used the sunflower sugar art molds -- monarch butterfly and the other medium butterflies mold. I like the Sunflower silicone molds, they perform beautifully. You can get them from globalsugarart.com or sugarcraft.com that I know of (I've bought them from both places.) Here's a link to the globalsugarart.com selection of the sunflower sugar art silicone molds: http://www.globalsugarart.com/customer/home.php?cat=695

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 4:13am
post #9 of 18

Thanks so much!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:52am
post #10 of 18

I've since learned that to keep the finished product from melting, brush it with confectioners glaze. I haven't tried that yet, as of this writing, but I have confidence in the gal who told me that trick! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 18

I just made another cake the other day with jolly rancher butterflies and brushed them with confectioners glaze. It did the trick -- added a nice sheen to the finished product and they didn't melt at room temperature. icon_lol.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks for the info.

Carmensu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carmensu Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:02pm
post #13 of 18

It's amazing what you learn everyday.
Thank you.

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 18

Yes, these are lots of fun to do and great for kids cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:30pm
post #15 of 18

BWB - the GSA link doesn't work for me. icon_sad.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:36pm
post #16 of 18

Try this link: http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=928&s=&name=SUNFLOWER%20SUGAR%20ART/Sunflower%20Sugar%20Art%20Animals,%20Nature%20&%20Seashell%20Molds

If that doesn't work, go to GSA, click on Sunflower Sugar Art, find the nature/animal molds section and look for the butterfly molds. Those are the ones I used.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:17pm
post #17 of 18

I'm using this method to make gems for a cake. How do you attach them to the cake?

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 8:06pm
post #18 of 18

I attached them using a dot of buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%