Help! Square Fondant Wedding Cake Corners

Decorating By jterrill Updated 27 Oct 2013 , 7:10pm by caketherapy

jterrill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jterrill Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 13

Hey Everyone,

I need to pick your brains on a square wedding cake I am making next month. Last week I made a test cake and smoothed the fondant perfectly and put it on my bc iced cake. The flavor was good however, I need your advices on the following items:

1. How can I make my edges on a square cake with fondant look seamless?
2. Does adding bc on a square cake make the corner edges soft/roundish versus a straight edge?
3. I noticed it isn't wise to do the viva towel method with the bc because the fondant needs something to adhere too. Got any ideas?
4. I'm creating the diamond pattern on the side of the cake and adding pearls. I followed the instructions and let the fondant sit before I trying to create the lines and some of them were too deep, light, etc. When is the perfect time to make lines,crimping, etc in fondant?

This is my first square wedding cake for a co-worker and I want her to just love it! Please give me some advice! Here is a picture of the cake she wants. (Without the bow on top. She wants fresh flowers.)

Thanks!
LL

12 replies
Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:17am
post #2 of 13

The only advice I can give you about getting the corners seamless looking is tons of practice...for me, it has taken doing it many, many times....and sometimes they are still not perfect.
And, I do the paper towel method on all of my cakes....the fondant adheres to the cake just fine...I do it to get the bc as smooth as possible.
The cake is gorgeous...good luck!!!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:26am
post #3 of 13

For question #3: some people use a fine mist of water from a spray bottle. Lightly mist the BC before putting the fondant on it. Don't use too much; too much water can melt the fondant.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:38am
post #4 of 13

do the corners FIRST, then the rest of the cake sides.

I disagree about not using the viva or whatever method on the BC The smoother the base, then the smoother you fondant will be.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:42am
post #5 of 13

the best trick is to actually smooth the corners first, and continually fluff the bottom of the fondant out (like making a bed) as you smooth the sides downward very gently.

if you are using your hands alone, there isnt a whole lot that you can do to make the corners and edges crisp and sharp with fondant. there is a tool that is sold in the uk that smooths fondant corners. i cant remember thename of the co or website but i have it in one of my previous threads so i will look for it and post the link.

otherwise the edges will be slightly rounded.

you can use the water mist to stick the fondant on if the bc has crusted. either way you do want smooth bc underneath because flaws show easily under fondant.

to do impressions on the fondant, you want to do it as soon as possible. if you let it set , you risk cracking it wont look very uniform. on fresh soft fondant, you'll have the best results. are you using a mat?

oldboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oldboots Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:45am
post #6 of 13

Chill your cakes completely through.
Use 2 smoothers and work your corners. you may want to use at least 1/4 inch of fondant. Hold on smoother still and work the other one towards it. This takes time and patience. The sooner you make the lines in the fondant the easier it is. When it gets hard it is harder to mark
This cake looks like buttercream with fondant drapes.

bubblywhitewine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblywhitewine Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:51am
post #7 of 13

I know very little about fondant but for the corners I saw a tool at Lowes that is used to make corners using plaster or cement. I was thinking that this hand held tool might be good for making crisp corners with BC and fondant. I've never tried, but it seems like it should work.

oldboots Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:02am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblywhitewine

I know very little about fondant but for the corners I saw a tool at Lowes that is used to make corners using plaster or cement. I was thinking that this hand held tool might be good for making crisp corners with BC and fondant. I've never tried, but it seems like it should work.

Actually there is a tool made especially for fondant corners too. The problem is I can't figure out how not to make a mark with the outside edge of the tool on the cake itself, LOL.

Wendoger Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:40am
post #9 of 13

whats the tool called???

oldboots Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:48am
post #10 of 13
Wendoger Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:53am
post #11 of 13

Oh! Ok...well I have never seen those before...all I have is the regular fondant smoother. Those sure look interesting though! Do you use them? Do ya like them? What do you recommend?
icon_wink.gif

oldboots Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:55am
post #12 of 13

No I don't.
I use two wilton smoothers to work with. They work fine for me. They have rounded corners that I like.
Maybe someone else here uses them???

caketherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketherapy Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 7:10pm
post #13 of 13

I'm guessing a corner trowel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%