Where Should I Purchase...

Decorating By Barbara76 Updated 26 Jan 2007 , 10:40pm by ChrisJ

Barbara76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbara76 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 7

I need to get some black and blue fondant, and some silver luster dust ( would this be the best thing to make white fondant look like metal?), where do you suggest I purchase these items from?

Thanks

Barbara

6 replies
melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 7

first look on google or in your yellow pages to see if you have a cake supply store. not just a michaels or hobby lobby, but a real supply store. if you dont have one, here are some good places that i like.

(in to the oven . com) (no spaces, if i put it together, it is edited to say cakecentral.com ) for satin ice fondant. they carry white, chocolate and many different colors in 2lbs up to 20lbs. you can also mix gel color into the white. this is my favorite brand, it is actually YUMMY and easy to work with. the price is very low and the shipping is low and fast. i believe they also sell luster dust.

of course the cheapest method is to make mmf. there is a recipe here, just search marshmallow fondant or mmf.

luster dust:

here on cc 1.89 plus ? shipping
ebay- jesterpartysupply 2.49 and 4.05 flat rate shipping

if you want a silver metal look, use grey fondant and dry dust with super pearl or use white fondant and dry dust or paint w/ nu silver and extract or vodka. if you want a chrome look use three parts nu silver to one part super pearl.

my favorites are super pearl, nu silver and super gold. i use them often.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 7

Another member suggested this website for Satin Ice fondant. I personally have not ordered from them. Under the Dusts section they also sell a Moonstone Lustre dust which will give you the metallic look.

http://www.intotheoven.com/rolled-fondant-c-2_145.html

melysa Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 7

isnt this weird how if we type in a website it is automatically changed to say shop.cakecentral ?

i will shop here, but frankly, cc doesnt sell fondant...so then what?

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 7

do you have cake or candy shop nearby? my local place carries it and she sells it by the pound if i need a specific color, i just ask her(but i usually color my own). also, i have seen boxes that Wilton puts out of multi-colored fondant but there isnt much in one box. the multi boxes ive seen at Michaels... they recently started carrying luster dust as well. hth

melysa Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbykellie

do you have cake or candy shop nearby? my local place carries it and she sells it by the pound if i need a specific color, i just ask her(but i usually color my own). also, i have seen boxes that Wilton puts out of multi-colored fondant but there isnt much in one box. the multi boxes ive seen at Michaels... they recently started carrying as well. hth

wilton will work if your in a pinch but be advised that most people really dont care for the taste of it.

are you sure that they carry luster dust? they carry shimmer dust, which is like an edible glitter and most people mistake that for being luster, but they work totally different.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 7

Hmmm, too weird. I can't get it to take the website. If you really want the website, just send me an email and I'll send it to you that way.

Edited: melysa gave the same one I was talking about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%