revel Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 7:55pm
post #1 of

I can't believe this! I've never heard of such a thing!
My sister and i both bought new KA's. I love mine...BUT..she hates hers. She prefers her handmixer!
I don't understand!! Is there something terribly wrong with her?

We both bought the Professional 500. What can i do to help her?

33 replies
Bradymom6 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:02pm
post #2 of

revel,
I say give her time and hopefully she will come around. I think the more she uses it the better she will like it. Maybe let her work with you and your KA when you are doing cakes and see if that doesn't help. When I got my KA my husband bought it for me for my cake decorating, he now uses it when he does pancakes for breakfast or things like that. He says he doesn't know why we didn't get one sooner. I can't remember the last time we picked up a hand mixer.
Bradymom

pammelasue Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:03pm
post #3 of

I'd suggest dialing 911 immediately...there's definitely something wrong with that girl! I just got mine for Christmas and it always seems to be calling my name...."bake something Pam, bake something Pam". See if her doctor can prescribe something for her...quick! icon_lol.gif
Pam

doitallmom Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:04pm
post #4 of

Tell her you'll gladly take it off her hads; I hear it's pretty good to have an extra kitchen adi handy LOL!

But seriously, maybe she just doesn't know how to operate it with ease yet. Maybe you can help her out and show her all the good things a KA can do. I only wish I had the Pro500

OhMyGoodies Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:05pm
post #5 of

If she doesn't grow to love it you could always have her send it to me I'll give it a good home! icon_smile.gif She can grow up with my daughter and I'll get her a play mate as well! icon_biggrin.gif lol

ps3884 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:07pm
post #6 of

icon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

I couldn't live without mine. I want another one!!!

SweetResults Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:11pm
post #7 of

Tell you will take it off her hands immediately!

The only thing better than ONE good KA is TWO good KA's!!

doitallmom Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:15pm
post #8 of

OhMyGoodies,
If only I would've thought of that one-can we trade posts?HaHahahahahaha!

ShirleyW Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:29pm
post #9 of

I think if there is one complaint about the KitchenAid or the Kenwood it is that the paddle attachment does not mix ingredients at the very bottom, center of the mixing bowl. It just takes getting used to and remembering to scrape down the sides and down to the bottom with a rubber spatula and then beat a minute longer to incorporate. With a hand mixer you can get right down to the bottom of the bowl. But the difference in power of the mixer and the volume of your icing is so much greater with the KA, there is no comparison.

Sugarbunz Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:35pm

Kitchen Aid's are heavy and bulky. If she doesn't use it a lot I could see where it would be less useful than a hand mixer. I used to own one *sniff sniff*, but Craigslisted it when I lived in a super tiny apartment and never cooked! Yes, I most certainly miss it now!

caryl Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:25pm

Annie, Annie, are you OK?
Sorry my CPR/ First Aid training is kicking in!
She must be VERY, VERY ill!

JoanneK Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:32pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

I think if there is one complaint about the KitchenAid or the Kenwood it is that the paddle attachment does not mix ingredients at the very bottom, center of the mixing bowl. It just takes getting used to and remembering to scrape down the sides and down to the bottom with a rubber spatula and then beat a minute longer to incorporate. With a hand mixer you can get right down to the bottom of the bowl. But the difference in power of the mixer and the volume of your icing is so much greater with the KA, there is no comparison.

Shirley,

Mine did that too and then I found out you can adjust the KA and once I did that it started to mix up everything on the bottom just fine. There is a screw in the back part and it lets you adjust how high the paddle is.

SILVERCAT Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:34pm

I know when I first got my KA it was alove/hate relationship! Bc mine didn't mix done to the bottom of the bowl, but now that I have used it so much in the last three months I LOVE IT, and wouldn't trade it in for anything but a BIGGER KA!

ccwkg Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:40pm

I am so sorry to hear of your sisters illness. I hope that she can recover from it quickly and realize what an amazing piece of equipment she has on her hands. She needs you now more than ever to show her the wonderful and delicious creations you can make with it. The smiles on the faces of all your family and friends after eating all of these creations may be all it takes to turn her dislike into love.
Wishing you lots of luck!

SugarBakerz Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:51pm

Funny and sad! I couldn't live without either my pro 500 or my big momma the 600... and to make matters worse, I was in Williams Sonoma the other day they have one even bigger like a 625 or 675... want nearly 1K for it... I could have choked! I agree with the others, take it off of her hands.. I can't even tell you that I own a handmixer, I might have some beaters in a drawer somewhere I could donate to her cause, but I am sure the actual mixer mechanism is LONG gone... good luck with this potentially catchable illness, but dont send it my way, won't work icon_smile.gif

keep your chin up and think about the amount of time and effore you save with yours!

Marksgirl Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:53pm

JoanneK

I didn't know you could adjust the paddles icon_biggrin.gif That is why I never use mine. I still use my hand mixer, I will try to adjust the paddles and try it again in the morning.

Thanks for the info.

ShirleyW Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 11:05pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

Quote:

Shirley,

Mine did that too and then I found out you can adjust the KA and once I did that it started to mix up everything on the bottom just fine. There is a screw in the back part and it lets you adjust how high the paddle is.

Good grief, I have had KitchenAid mixers since 1964 and never knew that? Thank you, I will give that a try. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? icon_lol.gif

katy625 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:58am

Just tell her that she can sell it to me!!!! hehehehehe! icon_biggrin.gif

bertie Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:09am

Don't know what I would do without mine KA.I got one when I starter lessons.My sister was decorating cakes long before I starter and was using just hand mixer and I told her she would love a KA .Well she got one,now she can't live without it.Maybe it will take her sometime to get use to it.It sure helps on the hand.

ccwkg Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:35am

I have had my KA for 12 years or so and it is starting to make a few grinding sounds. Does it sound like it is time to get a new one?? icon_sad.gif

duggerdesign Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:57am
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

Quote:

Shirley,

Good grief, I have had KitchenAid mixers since 1964 and never knew that? Thank you, I will give that a try. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? icon_lol.gif

I am so excited I happened to read your posting. I have always been frustrated that my paddle didn't hit the bottom of the bowl. Though at first I unscrewed the wrong screws and the mixer fell apart. After freaking out I finally fixed it and found the right screw. THANKS!

subaru Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:08am

Tell her to take 2 cupcakes, and call me in the morning.
Unwanted mixer pick-up begins at 10 AM.

cmmom Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:16am

I use my KA all the time, but if I want to make a quick, small batch of something I use my handmixer. I think it is so much easier to throw the two paddles into the dishwasher than wash the whole KA down and handwash the bowl, paddle and splash guard, etc. It might be that your sister is not making large enough batters to make it worth cleaning it??

NikkiDoc Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:23am

Okay, I confess I'm a former crazy girl too. When I first got my stand mixer (not a KA, though icon_sad.gif ) I wasn't crazy over it at first. I liked getting in there and feeling like I was doing something I guess. But then the more I used it the more foreign the hand mixer became. I'll never go back, but I am dreaming of the day I'll be the proud owner of a KA. icon_rolleyes.gif

Crimsicle Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:28am

It seems to me that there is a simple cure for her illness. Simply go out and buy her a nice handmixer and run like a bandit with her KA tucked under your arm! She should feel better in no time!

jcakes17 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:28am

Tell her i will buy her a new hand mixer and shipp it to her and she can ship hers to me icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:31am

Good heavens, maybe she doens't cook so she can't figure out how great it is? When I bought my daughter one for christmas (a method to my madness ..... I assigned her the cookie bouquet orders! Wha-hahahaha!), she said the best part was she could, for example, throw the potatoes in there and start mashing them while she was doing other stuff! She said, "Mom, I get dinner done so much faster because now I really CAN do 2 things at once!"

BTW.....LUV'D the "take 2 cupcakes" above. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

nglez09 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:31am

LMBO. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Honestly, I prefer my hand held mixer for some things over the KA. I think the KA is overrated. icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

Granpam Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 4:39am

When my youngest came home from college the year I got My KA she she made one batch of choc chip cookies and hated it. She is now married and still hates my KA. I love it and I use it for everything but beating eggwhites for pies. I prefer the hand mixer for those.

all4cake Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 4:43am

I say the best way to help her is to give her more of what she prefers and help her get rid of what she doesn't like.

Buy her another handheld and offer to take the stand mixer off her hands!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%