springlakecake Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:00pm
post #1 of

I am considering doing a cake using the sports ball pan (the regular size). I was just wondering about the construction...it just stays up like that? How to you get it to stay on the board...I am just imagining it boucing off like a ball ha ha! Any tips appreciated!

11 replies
jmt1714 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:02pm
post #2 of

the instructions say to trim off a bit, but I find some (most) cakes will settle slightly and flatten a bit on the bottom. I have always used it on top of a cake - sometimes I dowel, sometimes I don't.

I just put a dab of icing where I plan to put the cake, and I find it adheres very well that way.

springlakecake Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:06pm
post #3 of

okay thanks. Do you think I could use it without a cake underneath? How big is it? Do you think it could be covered in fondant...or too hard?

showersfamily4 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:07pm
post #4 of

I have used this pan a couple of times. I sliced a little off of the bottom of one half before placing it on my board. I also placed a small amount of bc icing on the board to help hold it in place. I had no problems with it. Good luck to you.

awolf24 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:07pm
post #5 of

I just used the sports ball pan for the first time (golf ball cake in my pictures). I just sliced off a bit on one of the halves to get a flat spot. I did cut out a little board to match the flat spot to put underneath it (used cut straws in bottom layer to support) and then I also put a dowel through the whole thing.

It would have been fine without the dowel except that we had to travel about 60 miles with it (and it didn't fall over!).

2sdae Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:07pm
post #6 of

Hi merissa! icon_biggrin.gif I have made my sports ball pan and I just trimmed a little off the bottom to "flatten it" and it seems to be stable enough. But I would deff use a good dense sturdy cake recipe and it should turn out fine. Just don't munch on those scraps!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Sorry couldn't resist. icon_rolleyes.gif

springlakecake Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:09pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

Just don't munch on those scraps!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Sorry couldn't resist. icon_rolleyes.gif

yeah yeah yeah. icon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

leepat Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:27pm
post #8 of

I used it for my Christmas ornament cakes. (in my gallery)I sliced a little off the bottom and also dowelled it. I sharpened the dowel to a point and stuck it through the cake and into the drum. Never moved.

springlakecake Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 7:09pm
post #9 of

thanks guys, good ideas!

jmt1714 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 7:46pm

if you check my pics, you'll see a basketball covered in fondant. it is on a sheetcake, but i think you'll be fine on just the board.

springlakecake Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:03pm

I saw your basketball, looks great covered in fondant! Thanks!

anoldhippy Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:45pm

I also used this pan for my jack o' lantern. just sliced ever so much on bottom and used a dowel. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%