Working With Simple Syrups And Such

Decorating By aupekkle Updated 26 Sep 2005 , 8:13pm by aupekkle

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 6:21am
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone,

I need your help. So I've tried using simple syrups to moisten up cakes and I don't think I'm doing it right. I generally poke holes into my cakes with toothpicks and use a pastry brush and brush on the syrup, but whenever I've done this, the syrup seems to only penetrate the top layer and that's it.

I recently tried doing a tres leche cake and ran into the same problem trying to get the milks into the cake. The milks only got through the top layer and nothing below. This was also after letting it sit overnight with the milks. I had to decorate this cake too, so I tried blotting the extra off the top layer and the blotting took a good layer of the cake with it. icon_confused.gif

What am I doing wrong? I need all the advice that you can provide. Thanks

2 replies
blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 11:51am
post #2 of 3

On my tres leches cakes, I pierce the cake with a fork while it is slightly warmer than room temperature. I then pour the room temperature milks over the cake and allow to sit overnight with no problems. I dont layer this cake usually, but when I do I split the layers and pour it on being careful not to overdo it with the milk. My other cakes I thaw if they are frozen and bring to room temperature. I use a squeeze bottle to coat each layer with pretty warm syrup, and allow it to sit until it is all absobed. I don't think it goes all the way through the layer...I don't know that I would want it to....I want a moist cake not a soggy one.

HTH,
Berta

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your advice, Berta. I will try your squeeze bottle method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%