Can Anyone Tell Me How This Is Done

Decorating By Webake2gether Updated 21 May 2015 , 4:54pm by Webake2gether

Webake2gether Posted 4 May 2015 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 12

I was asked by a friend to do this for her granddaughters graduation. I hope the picture posts bc I'm having difficulty loading it from my phone. Are the tops of the cupcakes covered with a thin layer of buttercream then fondant covered? Or is there a technique with buttercream to accomplish this look? I'll be making some changes this is just a reference that she sent me. 

11 replies
Webake2gether Posted 4 May 2015 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 12

Of course it didn't work lol. Here is a link to the picture she sent me 

http://weddbook.com/media/2057989/tiffany-cupcake-tower-tiffany-blue-pinterest

johnson6ofus Posted 4 May 2015 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 12

Cupcake, buttercream iced, rolled fondant, cut into a circle and smoothed on top (usually by the palm of the hand).

Frank68 Posted 4 May 2015 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 12

Webake2gether - I did something similar for my spongebob cupcakes http://www.sweettierscakery.com/#!Character%20Cupcakes/zoom/c3em/image1p8o ) . I covered the cupcake with buttercream to make a nice base for the fondant, and then dipped the cupcake (upside down) into a bowl that I had melted fondant in. The fondant will cool in a 20 minutes and then you can do whatever else to the top of that.

There's a pretty good tutorial here: http://cakejournal.com/tutorials/how-to-cover-cupcakes-with-poured-fondant/ 

I actually have an order for a 'breakfast at tiffany's' cake and cupcakes. For the cupcakes, I'm going to decorate the cupcakes with a 1M tip, and then press a flat fondant disc (2-2 1/2 inches in diameter) on top of that to get a very pretty look. 

Let us know how it comes out! 

Good luck,

Frank

johnson6ofus Posted 4 May 2015 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 12

I love that look of the 1M and fondant disk.^^^ Frank posted

Webake2gether Posted 4 May 2015 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks!!!! That saved me a ton of time trying to research this on my own I'm a newbie can't you tell ;)

Webake2gether Posted 4 May 2015 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 12

@frank68- did you color the fondant before you melted it or after? Those cupcakes were cute!! 

Frank68 Posted 4 May 2015 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 12

I did the color BEFORE ! :) I'd have a hard time getting the right color after and my only option would probably be an airbrush.  So do your color, then melt, then apply. You may need 2-3 "coats" of your fondant for it become really smooth. 

Webake2gether Posted 5 May 2015 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks!!! Turns out after a dozen texts they just want buttercream no fondant and their budget doesn't allow for what they want. This cupcake tier was choice number 2 when I told them how much it was going to cost to do the 3 tier cake all customized. Now I think they aren't going to do anything at all and go to walmart.  Just a little rant here but even without me making a profit (because I'm only doing for friends and family right now) people still don't want to pay for what it costs to do custom stuff. Acrylic tiers cost money, ingredients cost money, boxes and boards and on and on lol. From now on when someone asks me to do something and sends me a Pinterest picture (ahhh by the way I hate Pinterest lol)  I'm going to say how much do think you'll be spending for something like that and then I'll educate them on what it really costs. I told my friend last night the break down on costs.

Custom =more money y'all. Custom cars means more money custom made furniture means more money same with custom cakes and cupcakes. Sorry for the rant but I've put time and effort into this and won't see any return for it. Which is building my business and customer base while we are growing. 

Webake2gether Posted 5 May 2015 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 12

Also I broke down three options for them and came up with something that is still more expensive than of course Walmart but still getting good quality semi custom cupcakes just minus all the big bells and whistles but still really pretty so we'll see maybe they will go for the third option I came up with. I think though this puts into perspective for people the real costs of things. I'd hate to not do this for her bc she has been awesome in helping us grow it's just her daughter and granddaughter have expensive taste and don't want to pay for it lol :)

rachel2053_cake Posted 21 May 2015 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 12

know exactly what you mean on costs for friends and family... im the same and what I started doing was just asking them for a theme then sending 3 or 4 options of what i could do that would factor in all budgets... that way no awkwardness and normally results in them choosing one of the more expensive ones anyway because they see how little that £15/£20 would get them!!! 

Webake2gether Posted 21 May 2015 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 12

Surprisingly they went with option 2 but along the way have added more cupcakes then added custom bows to them too like the rest so with those add ons they are spending almost as much as option 1. They wanted to change it to option 1about 5 days before the party but I had already purchased all the supplies and ingredients and I have two custom birthday cakes (my son's and his friend are having a party together) for the same weekend  so I told her changes like that can't be made. So they would've spent way more than option 1 lol. 

I take it all has experience being earned as it is a part of the business that I hope to be in full time one day so better to learn all this now :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%