Shaped Cheesecake? Anyone Tried This?

Baking By kitten1021 Updated 4 May 2015 , 6:28pm by -K8memphis

kitten1021 Posted 4 May 2015 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 2

Hey everyone :) I was wondering if anyone has tried to make a shaped cheesecake and how it worked out. 

Im making cupcakes for a graduation party but I also wanted to make a different cake or dessert for something different or for adults who aren't big into cupcakes. So I'd like to possibly do a cheesecake. I have a graduation cap pan from Wilton so of course it's not your typical round or square. What I was thinking was to line the pan with wax or parchment paper (not sure which yet since I haven't had a chance to research it but I will or you can suggest which one if you know) and let the paper overlap the sides about an inch so that when the cheesecake is cool I can lift it from the pan using the overhanging paper like handles and hopefully it will lift out all in one piece and retain the grad cap shape. I have thought that I might even want to place the pan in the freezer after its cool and freeze the entire cheesecake then lift it out of the pan and onto the platter. I just thought it would be much firmer and more likely to retain its shape while transferring from pan to platter. 

Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated as this cake and party means a lot to me because my boyfriend is graduating with his masters degree and I want the dessert display to be really nice. Thanks and blessings to all

1 reply
-K8memphis Posted 4 May 2015 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 2

everything you said is perfect but if the bottom of the pan was flat you could do it a lot easier -- because when you de-pan the cake it'll be sitting as it baked with the indents & all -- so look at it and decide if it will sit flat enough for you that it won't crack -- y'know usually you flip those cakes over and have the design on the top to decorate -- opposite of the way it baked but not with a cheesecake -- see what i mean --

but on the other hand -- making a grad cap would be super easy -- you could even make a big cheesecake and then using a template you cut from the pan -- cut out the cheesecake to that shape and fill it in/ice it however you want -- or bake an 8" or 10 cheesecake and just put a mortar board & tassle on it bam! (angle it -- don't lay it on flat)

it think it's a great idea -- pictures, please when you get 'em and yes freeze the h out of it -- cheesecakes love to be frozen -- 

best to you and congrats to the grad/s

Quote by @%username% on %date%