Cake Flour

Baking By Sunshynegyrl Updated 6 May 2015 , 7:14pm by -K8memphis

Sunshynegyrl Posted 4 May 2015 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 5

Hello All, 

I'm a hobby baker who is new to cake decorating and let me say I LOVE IT! But I need your help! When I bake I love the soft and light texture of cake flour, its all I use. I have so many delicious recipes written. Here's my dilemma  I want to start selling my cakes but the cakes I bake are so soft they don't feel sturdy enough for decorations.

Does anyone have any tips on making my cakes sturdy WITHOUT converting over to using AP flour?

Thanks in advance for your help~

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 4 May 2015 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 5

you can add extra eggs or egg yolks but you need to broaden your horizons -- don't limit yourself to only cake flour -- you're boxing yourself in why do that?

you can also use buttermilk to try & hold things together better or you could use ap flour to handily achieve the results you want with the correct ingredient --

why not

SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 May 2015 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 5

Have to agree with -K8 Memphis.  For the most part you are likely better off switching to recipes calling for a/p flour.  Unless you want to experiment with your favourite recipes.  Or test out others using cake flour and see how they hold up.

However I can recommend the 2006 Martha Stewart Neapolitan Cake recipe from her site.  I have used the white, pink and chocolate variations individually for various stacked and decorated cakes.  Great recipe! Uses cake flour.  Can handle stacking and decorations well.

Sunshynegyrl Posted 4 May 2015 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you ladies for the advice!!

-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2015 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 5

but yes as squirrellycakes says -- use the flour called for in the recipe -- sylvia weinstock has a couple that call for cake flour too -- there are lots of them just use them as written for best results unless as she says says you're into experimenting

Quote by @%username% on %date%