Buttercream Melting, Sliding Problems

Decorating By minicoopermel Updated 4 May 2015 , 5:11pm by minicoopermel

minicoopermel Posted 4 May 2015 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 7

I've been making some cakes but just started this winter. I'm in Michigan and we have very cold winters so buttercream melting and whatnot hasn't been an issue. 

Well this past weekend I made a small 8" 3 layer cake and the buttercream was purple and the dye started settling in buttercream cracks and the buttercream slid down and started melting a bit. Well it was soo hot out and I'm not sure how to make sure this never happens again. I was so glad it was for a family outing! 

my buttercream recipe USUALLY is:  8 cups powered sugar, 2 tsp vanilla, 1 cup salted butter, 1 cup shortening, and 1-2 tsp water. 

However for this cake I'm talking about I used 2 cups butter, 8 cups powdered sugar, and 2 tsp vanilla. 

6 replies
Rae-Anne Posted 4 May 2015 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 7

I live in the Caribbean, and when i started doing cakes, one lesson i had to learn really quickly, is that an only butter icing, was not going to cut it. So i adapted the high ratio recipe, and it works like a dream for me.

Here a link for Sharon´s recipe:

minicoopermel Posted 4 May 2015 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 7

I currently use the store brand shortening and it has 3.5 grams trans fat. Isn't that the same as the sweetex?  

Rae-Anne Posted 4 May 2015 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 7

I haven´t the slightest clue. What we use down here is Velvo Kris Shortening, we don´t get sweetex. Maybe Crisco?

minicoopermel Posted 4 May 2015 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 7

Oh ok. Well thanks for your input! :)

leah_s Posted 4 May 2015 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 7

3.5 grams Tf should be the same as Alpine and Sweetex.

minicoopermel Posted 4 May 2015 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks! If I can get it locally and a little cheaper why not right! :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%