Uncovered Wires For Flowers

Sugar Work By ranidae Updated 9 May 2015 , 12:16pm by -K8memphis

ranidae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranidae Posted 4 May 2015 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 6

I bought a pack of wire on a roll because it was so much cheaper. There is no reason I can't use this, right? I figured I can just cover it with my floral tape and be good to go. Someone please let me know if that isn't true. Thanks

5 replies
ammcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ammcats Posted 4 May 2015 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 6

That will absolutely fine for flowers that won't be eaten ( most people don't ever eat gumpaste flowers, yuk!)  however, you cannot stick them directly into the cake.  You will need to either pop in coffee straws first, or if larger arrangement, use flower picks.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 4 May 2015 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 6

Yep, neither naked wire or floral tape should go directly into cake [naked wires rust and the glue on floral tape is not edible or food safe].  It's fine if they're stuck into straws or flower picks, though.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 May 2015 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 6

and it's hard to get it to stick -- hard to get the florist tape to cooperate -- not impossible but it's annoying enough for me that i wouldn't do flowers without wrapped wire -- so be prepared to invest a little more attention to that detail

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 9 May 2015 , 2:38am
post #5 of 6

I have used wire of a roll, as you said it is economical.I always store my florist tape in a ziplock bag so it doesn't dry out, and use straws in the cake to stick in.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2015 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 6

yes i've used wire on a roll too but it was wrapped

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%