DivineDelectables Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:39pm
post #1 of

I have a wedding cake due in May. The bride does not want Buttercream icing she wants Wedding cake icing, but she does not know what wedding cake icing is. I use the buttercream dream and add a little lemon or almond extract depending on the cake. I don't have the slightest idea what wedding cake icing is. Can anyone help please!?

10 replies
MomLittr Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:45pm
post #2 of

I she thinking of fondant?

SugarBakerz Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:47pm
post #3 of

mmmmmmm.... maybe she thinks she doesn't want BC because she is thinking it will taste like a birthday cake or something... I always add creme bouquet to my wedding cake icing.. do you have access to that?

also, why don't you suggest a taste test for her... like make a couple of differnent batches and let her sample them, she may just not understand...

someone will rescue you I am sure of it icon_smile.gif

bellejoey Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:51pm
post #4 of

Maybe she is thinking of swiss meringue buttercream because it is not as "sweet" and heavy as buttercream or it could be that she saw cakes decorated with fondant like momlittr suggested and that is what she is talking about...hmmm...Keep us posted as to what she means...I'm really curious now!

lilkimberb Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:54pm
post #5 of

I made the white as snow buttercream and my DH walked in and smelled it and then tasted it and he said "I am glad you learned how to make wedding icing!"???? So I don't know. To me it tasted just like the other bc icing I make but he said it didn't. So maybe that is what she wants?

jmt1714 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:33pm
post #6 of

how does she expect you to make something she can't even decribe?

tbittner Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:42pm
post #7 of

Did she provide a picture of what she wants, then you will know if it is the smoothness of fondant she wants or the look of buttercream. I would ask her more detailed questions and ask her to show you a picture if she can not describe it. Also, get her exact request in writing on your contract!
Good luck!
Tracy

bethola Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:43pm
post #8 of

BRIDES.....ya gotta luv 'em! I have clients tell me I want the SMOOTH icing! Okay, smooth BC, or fondant? When questioned they say....NOT the kind that you can peel off.....okay, I think...she wants me to use BC! LOLL Not only do we have to be creative decorators....with brides....sometimes we have to be mind readers as well!

I agree with a previous post, have an icing tasting! I had a bride that wanted REAL buttercream icing for an October (outside) wedding. I knew with the time factor AND KY Octobers that the icing wouldn't hold up. SO, I fixed 2 4" rounds; one with real BC and one with Crisco BC. NO CONTEST!! I got the cakes out and let them sit while we planned the sit down meal I was catering and in 20 minutes....the real BC was sliding off the cake!! Visuals and Tastings are wonderful tools.

Beth in KY

DivineDelectables Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 8:30pm
post #9 of

Sorry it took so long for me to get back. I have a picture of the cake and it is buttercream I am going to try the creme bouquet, and see if that is what she wants. I will let you know what happens. Thank you for your help!

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 8:37pm

Sometimes it's just the power of suggestion and what they THINK a flavor is. People tell me they just love the taste of "wedding" cake. Hate to break the news that it's the same cake that they buy at the grocery and make themselves (I use Betty Crocker). It's all in their mind what "wedding" cake or "wedding" icing tastes like.

The sampling is a great idea.

CheriN Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 7:17am

Hey! I know that this reply is a little late but, there is actually a "wedding cake icing" recipe on this site! So, if she is particular about the NAME you could try that. icon_wink.gif (I would post the link but I don't know how yet... icon_rolleyes.gif You can find it under frostings, or white cakes)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%