Julie's Less-Sweet Buttercream Frosting

Baking By jdelectables Updated 27 Jan 2007 , 5:26pm by Janette

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, all ~

I just submitted my recipe for bc with added flour. If anyone tries it, let me know how you like it. I've searched "high and low" for a less-sweet crusting bc and I think I've finally found it. Someone gave me the suggestion to add a small amount of flour to it and after some trial-and-errors, I think I found a good one. Try it and please let me know some feedback (you can easily half the recipe). Thanks so much!

Julie

Here's the link:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2523-Julies-Less-Sweet-Buttercream-Frosting.html

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 7:01am
post #2 of 7

Hi Julie,

Thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif

Will have to check it out!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 7:17am
post #3 of 7

I have been hunting for days for a good BC that wasn't so sweet.

I'll let you know.

I tried the Italian Buttercream and I think it's awful.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 8:13am
post #4 of 7

Janette,

I've never tried any of the meringue based b/c's.

If you don't mind, can you share what you particularly disliked about the IMBC.

Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

P.S. I like the Brite White, Dreamy Cream and Whipped Cream Buttercream frostings, because they all have something, i.e., meringue powder, dream whip to cut the grease and sweetness.

Janette Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 7

Sure icon_razz.gif

It had a strange taste I don't know how to explain, I'm trying to think of what to compare it to. My DD and SIL really liked it.

It was a light brown, even when I added violet to it. I may have cooked too long and it gave it that coloring.

Whate in the world do Bakeries use? Wilton's is too sweet other recipes I've tried are too light not good for basic decorating. I've asked on CC if I could use the lighter frosting and then use the heavier, Wilton, for the decorating, but no one responded icon_rolleyes.gif

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 7

Janette, which recipe did you use? My bc with the flour is not cooked. I'm thinking you used something different?

Julie

Janette Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 7

No, I'm sorry we were talking about the Itilian Buttercream recipe.

I tried yours and it did cut down on the sweetness and was very easy to work with. I'm still on the hunt for somthing less sweet.

I may be wrong because it's been a while but I don't remember the Bakery frosting being that sweet. It could be my taste buds have changed.

I always made cakes with different types of frosting, but since decorating I've only used the Wilton recipe. The others taste good but they are not for decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%