Unusual Nail

Decorating By EdieBabe Updated 9 Feb 2016 , 3:35am by bendbaker

EdieBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdieBabe Posted 4 May 2015 , 1:21am
post #1 of 22

I saw this very unusual cake decorating now there was only one left the lady in the store said it's from Australia but she couldn't remember what exactly it was for I've tried to look it up but the Wilton website doesn't bring it up no matter which way I type it in I have tried Internet searches maybe I'm just not savvy enough but can anybody tell me how I use this very unusual looking nail...

Holding it straight up and down it looks like an umbrella on the top side with the straight edges on the inside or bottom OR if I turn it sideways it looks like a bird beak with the nail part being the tongue sticking out if that makes any more sense sooo...

Wilton 402-863 made in Korea is probably about 3 inches across at the widest which is at the bottom and maybe an inch wide at the thickest which is at the center and then mail part of it is probably close to 4 inches tall and it's not flat like other nails like it seems like you work on the side of it because there's no opportunity to really work on top of it it's tapered

21 replies
EdieBabe Posted 4 May 2015 , 1:25am
post #2 of 22
writezoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writezoe Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 22

Hi - did you ever find out what this was?

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 22

It's hard for me to get a mental picture of what you are describing but.....I have a feeling, if it isn't a lily nail, then it might be an old basket maker.  You would cover it w/plastic wrap (in the old days lightly grease w/fat) and pipe a basket w/royal icing.  When royal is dry sli[p off and you have a 3-d basket. 

Maybe someone from Austrailia will jump in the help us :)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 22

I've had those nails, some were plastic, some were metal, and they come in different shapes.  They are for making three dimensional forms (or nets) with royal icing.  When dry these shapes can be sat on the sides, edges, or tops of the cakes.  It's definitely old school decorating and is only shown in my earlier Wilton decorating books.

MagicMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MagicMoon Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 1:42am
post #7 of 22

I've tried to post a picture from two different machines and the picture button just seems to freeze the screen.  But I did post a picture on my first CC account of a nail I inherited from my mother.  It isn't Austrailian, it's old!  satisfied.png  See if this isn't what it looks like.  Here's the discussion link: http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/776024/anybody-know-what-this-wilton-8-metal-nail-is#post_7514759 

So EDIT! It was MBalaska that answered me too!  And it IS Austrailian.  Sorry about that MB!!!  I had so much trouble posting I didn't stop and re-read everything. 0_o  Sheesh...

*Last edited by MagicMoon on 16 Jan 2016 , 1:52am
writezoe Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 22

Yes, that is it @MagicMoon  !  I have 6 of them, all different shapes.  Royal Icing Tools.  THANKS!!      

MagicMoon Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 22

Ooooh.....you can have a lot of fun with those @writezoe  !!!  I'm hoping I get to see whatever you do with them.  My mom was the piping master while I am more sculpting.  I have tons of respect for those of you who pipe masterpieces! Enjoy!

writezoe Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 22

Actually, my piping is terrible with a capital T !  I've searched the internet to see if I can find instructions or anything that might help me see how they actually work, but all 've seen is the picture that you linked to above, and the resolution is so bad I can't read it. I can't find anything on eBay either... thinking maybe if I can't use them someone else can. I don't think they've ever been used.  One of them looks like a giant unfolded fortune cookie or PacMan. Another looks like a smile.  Another puts me in mind of maybe a saddle, but smooth? I'll see if I can get a picture of all of them and post it here.   

MagicMoon Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 22

I wouldn't part with them @writezoe  

Mine, I know, is at least 20-25 years old and I've never seen anything like it for sale anywhere I shop.  The fact you can't find them on Ebay tells you they're unique.  Have you ever looked at/taken Craftsy classes?  I love them and have learned a million useful things besides what the classes are actually about.  Two that would help you use those cool gadgets would be :

http://www.craftsy.com/class/mastering-australian-stringwork/306?ext=SAS_AustralianStringwork&utm_source=ShareASale&utm_medium=Affiliates&utm_campaign=General-Course%20Activity&initialPage=true&sasClickId=11k0_ew5nv&SSAID=255561

and

http://www.craftsy.com/class/contemporary-english-over-piping/350?ext=ShareASale_OverPiping&utm_source=ShareASale&utm_medium=Affiliates&utm_campaign=General-Course%20Activity&sasClickId=11k0_ew6a2&SSAID=255561

Anything "domed" you see in the class project photos could be made with the nails you have.  There are sales on classes all the time and you might even get a % off discount when you register -I don't remember.  But I've never regretted any paid course I've taken.  I do expect you to show me your work when you use them! ;-)

*Last edited by MagicMoon on 20 Jan 2016 , 9:05pm
kakeladi Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 12:03am
post #12 of 22

I hav e not taken any Craftsy classes but I WOULD HIGHLY recommend that overpiping class.  It is very similar to Lambeth and soooo beautiful..  It can be done in not only royal but b'cream.  I have a couple in my album on here.

writezoe Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 1:39pm
post #13 of 22

Thanks @MagicMoon

I've taken a few Craftsy classes and they've all been really helpful.  The Australian Stringwork class looks very interesting, but tedious.   I guess I'll hold on to the nails for now, in case I decide to do some stringwork.   I appreciate all of your help & suggestions!

MagicMoon Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 12:33am
post #14 of 22

Your Lambeth cakes are so beautiful @kakeladi ‍ !  I remember my mom doing cakes like those and they're so sumptuous in person.  I'm really considering one of the piping classes because I only have very basic piping abilities.  Do you recommend Lambeth or the modern overpiping?

@writezoe ‍ I know about the Austrailian stringwork and the tedium.  I think that's why I haven't even tried to improve my piping. I can't imagine creating works like those.  Add my tendency toward perfectionism I'm afraid I'd zone out for days on end piping!

kakeladi Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 6:27pm
post #15 of 22

Thanks MagicMoon :)  I took a class - well more of  a demo from a very talented lady who was going blinnd.   If she could still do it just by feel! I could at least try my hand at it.  I took the easy way out though, doing the work in b'cream :)

EdieBabe Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 6:28pm
post #16 of 22

Quote by @writezoe on 15 Jan 2016 , 4:24am

Hi - did you ever find out what this was? Nope still not to this day.

EdieBabe Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 6:32pm
post #17 of 22

Quote by @MagicMoon on 5 days ago

I wouldn't part with them @writezoe  

Mine, I know, is at least 20-25 years old and I've never seen anything like it for sale anywhere I shop.  The fact you can't find them on Ebay tells you they're unique.  Have you ever looked at/taken Craftsy classes?  I love them and have learned a million useful things besides what the classes are actually about.  Two that would help you use those cool gadgets would be :

http://www.craftsy.com/class/mastering-australian-stringwork/306?ext=SAS_AustralianStringwork&utm_source=ShareASale&utm_medium=Affiliates&utm_campaign=General-Course%20Activity&initialPage=true&sasClickId=11k0_ew5nv&SSAID=255561

and

http://www.craftsy.com/class/contemporary-english-over-piping/350?ext=ShareASale_OverPiping&utm_source=ShareASale&utm_medium=Affiliates&utm_campaign=General-Course%20Activity&sasClickId=11k0_ew6a2&SSAID=255561

Anything "domed" you see in the class project photos could be made with the nails you have.  There are sales on classes all the time and you might even get a % off discount when you register -I don't remember.  But I've never regretted any paid course I've taken.  I do expect you to show me your work when you use them! ;-)

I've taken a free craftsy class ages ago but I am intrigued by these you reference so if I end up taking them I will for sure post to you. And if I ever figure out how post a photo again I'll also do that

writezoe Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 2:47pm
post #18 of 22

Thanks again to all who've contributed to this post.  And a super big thanks to @ediebabe for starting it last year... without this post, I never would have learned what they are. @magicmoon, you've solved the puzzle for me!  :)

I'm going to keep them for now, and consider taking a string work class in the future. I already have a couple Craftsy classes that I haven't finished yet, so I will do that first and then try something new.  In the meantime, if anyone comes across any documentation on 'how' to use these nails, I'd love to have a copy.  Or, pictures of the end result after using them.  I can't quite see (in my minds eye, hehe) how they would be used on a cake unless it was to make a birds nest or something.  @mbalaska which old book are you referring to?  Maybe I can find a copy.

By the way, I was home in the Blizzard of 2016 for a few days and talk about tedius, I reorganized my 500+ piping tips!  LOL

Have a great day!

Zoe

MagicMoon Posted 8 Feb 2016 , 4:08am
post #19 of 22

@writezoe that cracks me smooth up about the tip organizing!!!  That sounds like something I would totally do. Hahaha....

Okay ladies, I did some looking in the old Wilton books my mom gave me and found pictures you might like.  This first one is from the back of a 1980's Wilton book. It shows the tips, their descriptions and an example of piped royal icing cages made with them.  Pretty cool. 

56b814c760a97.jpeg

This one is from the 1975 Celebrate! II  hardback Wilton book.  It doesn't show these particular tip's cages but it does show a great example of Australian string work.  It also should show the brief instructions on how to achieve the look on the cake shown.  So pretty....

56b814c7f2604.jpeg

If anyone wants better pics of these two pages just let me know and I'll scan it better so you can see the cake on the left and the full instructions for both.

Enjoy!  smiley.png

Lisa

MagicMoon Posted 8 Feb 2016 , 5:40am
post #20 of 22

I guess the tag function isn't working anymore? I tried to tag you @writezoe but it doesn't show. Anywho, I wanted you to see the pics I posted so check em out! bowtie.png

writezoe Posted 8 Feb 2016 , 3:01pm
post #21 of 22

@MagicMoon... nope, wasn't contacted about you tagging me.  I tagged you in case they turned that feature back on?  Anyway, LOVE the pics you uploaded. 

Here (if it works) is a scan from an old Wilton book... I contacted Wilton directly and this is all they could come up with.  It shows examples of the nails in use.  Not a great scan, but it's something. 

This has been a great thread!  Thanks for everyone who contributed!

Zoe

56b8adbd7d6c9.png

bendbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bendbaker Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 3:35am
post #22 of 22

It's what we used to call an Australian net nail.  I've been looking for the metal ones for the last year.  They don't make them anymore.  Old school, but I prefer it to the fondant and gum paste used today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%