Is This Too Much Raspberry?

Baking By getonthemove Updated 4 May 2015 , 11:24am by getonthemove

getonthemove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getonthemove Posted 3 May 2015 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake for my Mom's upcoming birthday dinner.  I want the cake to be a raspberry chocolate mud cake with a chocolate-raspberry-violet filling.  I was thinking of a raspberry flavored IMBC for the outside.  Is that to much raspberry?  Would I be better off with a vanilla IMBC instead or plain chocolate ganache?  I would appreciate any opinions or suggestions for other possible butter cream flavors that might go with that cake filling combo.

Thanks.

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2015 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 7

what about the choco/rasp cake with lavender bc and filled w/choco ganache --

make a cake that i call "hot fudge" but it's a play on words -- it's a spicey cayenne and hot cinnamon fudgie choc cake aka 'hot' fudge but i fill it with a sourcream/cream cheese filling and a vanilla smbc -- the cake is the star of the show --

so in your raspberry case an idea is to make one of the raspberry elements the star probably the cake and use the other flavors as back up singers --

but the idea of a choco/rasp/violet...wait i was thinking lavender not violet -- what does violet taste like?

getonthemove Posted 3 May 2015 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 7

It is kind of hard to describe. A sweet floral taste is about as close as I can describe it. Not near the floral taste that lavender has but a much lighter taste. What I was going to make the filling out of is a raspberry-violet preserve.

-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2015 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 7

wow that sound awesome -- it won't get lost in all the heavy flavors in there will it?

getonthemove Posted 4 May 2015 , 12:29am
post #5 of 7

I am hoping not. Maybe I should just make the filling raspberry-violet and drop the chocolate in the filling.that way the violet doesn't have to compete with that layer of flavor.

-K8memphis Posted 4 May 2015 , 3:57am
post #6 of 7

i think that's a good idea -- it leaves your flavors more defined

getonthemove Posted 4 May 2015 , 11:24am
post #7 of 7

Thanks K8.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%