Cupcake Truck

Business By salokin Updated 9 May 2015 , 12:21am by leah_s

salokin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salokin Posted 3 May 2015 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 7

Have been looking and thinking about starting a cupcake business for a few years now. I currently work a restaurant job and have had coworkers there tell me I should start selling some cupcakes. As there are a few different shops in town, not too big of a town, and was thinking a food truck would be a way to set me apart.

Does anyone know if actually baking on a truck would be a viable option, or even if this kind of business would a good option? Any opinions or advice would be helpful.

6 replies
cakeemewithyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeemewithyou Posted 3 May 2015 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 7

This sounds super awesome...and if you decorated it up super cute, brides and birthdays would probably LOVE to have your truck as an option for their event. :)

LusciousBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LusciousBites Posted 3 May 2015 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 7

It is a very viable option! :)  I am actually getting ready to open up my, "Food Trailer" here shortly!  We are selling other things than cupcakes, but our specialty is cupcakes.  They can be kind of costly, depending on different things, and you would need to make sure it's up to code, has AC, generator, etc.   As the pp said, decorating it to look cute, can really rack up business with doing parties, etc. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 May 2015 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 7

I'm in my fourth year of owning a dessert truck.  Baking on a food truck is not a viable option, because managing heat and power are your two biggest issues.  Food trucks get hot!

I dropped cupcakes from my menu about a year ago - they are "deader than a doornail" around here.  Dropped cake pops two years ago.

Check our your local Health Department and local vending ordinances.  If you thought setting up a licensed home kitchen was "fun" wait until you start a food truck.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 May 2015 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 7

@leah_s What kind of desserts do you sell on your truck?  What's your best seller?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 May 2015 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 7

I'm thinking ..........cheesecake!  they never go out of style.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 May 2015 , 12:21am
post #7 of 7

Cheesecake requires refrigeration. Refrigerators are serious power sucks.  you will soon know how many amps all your equipment puls.

right now I'm selling brownies.  Lots of them I've gone thru 700 bske/serve dishes in the last month.  Turtle sticks and mojeskas (a local thinf) sell well. Pmaying a little with pied.  They have never done well, but im trying them again. I also sell packaged ice cream. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%