Heat Stabilizers For All-Butter Buttercream

Decorating By sdcupcakes Updated 3 May 2015 , 6:57pm by SquirrellyCakes

sdcupcakes Posted 2 May 2015 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 7

Hello CC, 

I make my buttercream with only butter, no shortening, PS, flavoring, and heavy cream.  I make it very thick but it pipes fine on cupcakes.  

I was selling outdoors today under a canopy and it was only 73 degrees but with the sun and customers taking some home in warm cars I already saw that the BC was softening up. The humidity gets much worse here than the temp.

I only want to sub shortening for part of the butter as a last resort.  I read some old posts that add other things to stabilize all-butter recipes: cake flour, cornstarch, meringue powder and also powdered milk.  

Does anybody else have tricks to keep from melting? Do I just need to add more sugar?

6 replies
SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 May 2015 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 7

Unfortunately, shading them as you have done and packaging the cupcakes in plastic or waterproof containers and placing them in trays or tubs filled with ice  are about the only options for some protection.  Even if you switch to part or all shortening - the temperature and/or sunlight will come into play.  Regardless of what you add to stabilize, you are only saving yourself for a bit of time.

You might want to delay the inevitable by storing the bulk of your cupcakes in coolers filled with ice and perhaps freezing them prior to sales.

maybenot Posted 3 May 2015 , 2:42am
post #3 of 7

If you sub in high ratio shortening, the buttercream will be a bit more stable.  In the summer, I like 1/2 & 1/2, but you can experiment with small batches to see what you like.  It will help because of its higher melting point than butter, but the advice above is the only thing that will keep things in decent shape in the heat.

sdcupcakes Posted 3 May 2015 , 2:56am
post #4 of 7

Thanks squirellycakes and maybenot.

I keep the cupcakes in dozen containers in coolers with the ice blankets and I just put them in smaller containers as ordered.  I guess keeping them cold isnt the problem so much as how to have them at the right temp for those customers wanting to eat right then...cold hard buttercream isnt great.  But I guess telling them to wait a bit before eating is better for the majority wanting to take them home :)

SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 May 2015 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 7

Sdcupcakes, I have been away from the sites for several years and am not up-to-date.  You taught me something I wasn't aware of. Thank you, I had not heard of ice sheets or ice blankets before...just ice packs.  Great to have another option because I also prefer all butter buttercream and have similar heat and humidity issues.  Again, many thanks.  And, haha, I also didn't realize that there might be people out there who didn't like cold (or even frozen) buttercream.  What is wrong with those people?

remnant3333 Posted 3 May 2015 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 7

I have some chocolate buttercream that I stuck in the freezer and every now and then I bring it out and cut a piece of it because it is almost like eating fudge!! Very tasty frozen!! I'm with Squirrelly Cakes!! What is wrong with those people? haha

SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 May 2015 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 7

Haha, oh my, I have some in my freezer too.  It is like fudge and equally good is the "burndt"  or brown sugar icing...

Quote by @%username% on %date%