Looking For A Lemon Lavendar Cake Recipe

Baking By peachofcake Updated 2 May 2015 , 10:53pm by SquirrellyCakes

peachofcake Posted 1 May 2015 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 10

I love lavendar and lemon. I want to combine the two to make a delicious cake. Just wondering if anyone has a tried and true recipe. I have thought about making a lemon cake with lavendar infused buttercream. But then also thought of having the cake itself be lavendar and lemon. Needing a little help.

9 replies
peachofcake Posted 1 May 2015 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 10

Or does anyone have suggestions on how to add these flavors to a WASC recipe?

-K8memphis Posted 1 May 2015 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 10

i have suggestions and this is me paying back 'cause a sweet online friend sent me some lovely lavender plus some other fantastic spices like cinnamon from all over the world and another sent me a lavender cookbook so thank you for the opportunity --

this is all for comparison:

the 'very lavender apricot cake' which takes 4 teaspoons of lavender and has 3 cups of flour and 4 eggs -- but has to balance against the apricot flavor

a lavender devils food cake takes 2 teaspoons lavender with 2 cups flour 1/4 cup cocoa 2 eggs

honey lavender pound cake takes 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons of course) lavender to 3 cup flour 6 eggs

so i think you would be safe with 2-3 teaspoons lavender in a cake with 2-3 cups flour -- you know it goes soapy tasting if you use too much -- they crush/grind* it to a powder to use and they measure before grinding --

so any good cake recipe you already like, ease up on the vanilla, add 2 teaspoons of lemon zest (rubbed in a little sugar to release the oils) and like i said 2-3 teaspoons of lavender pods ground to a powder

do you have a good basic vanilla cake you already like or do you need one?

*mortar & pestle of dedicated coffee grinder, i'd use my ninja blender

peachofcake Posted 1 May 2015 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you so so much! I have a WASC cake I really like. Thinking I will do as you suggest and play around with the lemon zest and juice in place of almond and vanilla extracts.

-K8memphis Posted 1 May 2015 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 10
perfect -- lemon juice might not necessarily be necessary -- lemon extract maybe -- if your wasc is not scratch there's probably enough vanilla already in the cake mix -- if it's scratch it might do well with a spot of vanilla -- kind of an enhancer with the others as the main attraction --

best to you -- sounds lovely -- should turn out great -- i used to make shortbread cookies with my lavender and i didn't grind it all -- i liked the little podiness of the lavender pods -- it was nice to gnash on with the crunch of the cookies but i guess in cake smaller is better so you don't get too much in one bite? i don't know i never made a cake with it -- that i remember
please let me know your findings and results --

you resurrected some sweet lavender scented memories for me -- thank you! my best to you in lavender, lemon and lovely cakes

Lfredden Posted 2 May 2015 , 11:40am
post #6 of 10

I've used this recipe and really liked it.  I did add lemon juice and zest but can't remember how much.  http://www.cookingclassy.com/2013/04/lavender-cupcakes-with-vanilla-bean-frosting/

remnant3333 Posted 2 May 2015 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 10

I use lavender oil for medicinal purposes. I never thought about using for a cake. I think the oil I have is way too strong.  I had a small boy in the neighborhood that accidentally put his hand in his bike spokes while riding it. He broke his finger. I put the oil on his finger which stopped the pain immediately. He went to hospital and it was broken but said it didn't hurt after I put the oil on it.  

Please let us know how the cake turns out using lavender. 

-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2015 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 10

remnant -- really! wow gotta get some of that -- like from lorann oils or the health food store or something?

SkisandBakes Posted 2 May 2015 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 10

This recipe is awesome. They are really lemony and the lavender whip cream adds a nice balance. I bought culinary lavender from a local gourmet shop. 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 May 2015 , 10:53pm
post #10 of 10

Another great recipe is the Lavender-Lemon Bundt Cake recipe on the Williams-Sonoma site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%