Sugar On Sides Of Cake- Experienced Decorators

Decorating By makeminepink Updated 2 May 2015 , 4:52am by johnson6ofus

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 1 May 2015 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 9

I am wondering if some of you who have put the big sugar crystals on the sides of buttercream cakes can help me.  I did this for my daughter's wedding cake and it was just ok.  I'm wondering if someone has a trick they use.  By the time you get the cake smooth- with the Viva method, then when you try to press the sugar onto the sides, of course it isn't so smooth anymore and the sugar doesn't stick so well either.  I'm starting to think that all those cakes I see that are so perfectly covered aren't real!

8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 May 2015 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 9

They're not real! Can we all say it... "pinterest is fake, pinterest is fake"...

But you don't have to smooth out those cakes 100% perfectly anyway, if they're a little on the rough side the sugar is easier to stick on.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 2 May 2015 , 1:34am
post #3 of 9

Thank-you. :)  Maybe won't try and get that layer quite so smooth.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 May 2015 , 2:54am
post #4 of 9

I've done dozens of that style cakes.  If you're using the Viva method that tells me you're using a crusting bc.  That's where you're going wrong.  Either switch to a non crusting bc  or get the sugar crystals on the cake before your bc starts to crust.  I can absolutely cover a four tier in under 20 minutes.  Easiest cake decor ever.

leah_s Posted 2 May 2015 , 2:55am
post #5 of 9

I've done dozens of that style cakes.  If you're using the Viva method that tells me you're using a crusting bc.  That's where you're going wrong.  Either switch to a non crusting bc  or get the sugar crystals on the cake before your bc starts to crust.  I can absolutely cover a four tier in under 20 minutes.  Easiest cake decor ever.

leah_s Posted 2 May 2015 , 2:56am
post #6 of 9

leah_s Posted 2 May 2015 , 3:02am
post #7 of 9

This site is NOT mobile friendly.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 2 May 2015 , 3:33am
post #8 of 9

Quote by @leah_s on 29 minutes ago

This site is NOT mobile friendly.

Hahaha thought it was a stutter.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 May 2015 , 4:52am
post #9 of 9

Didn't someone once post they sprayed wax paper with "Pam" , put the sugar on that, and then used that "wallpaper" to stick to the cake? Anyone remember that one?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%