Carrot Cake Recipe Help

Baking By carrotandcream Updated 1 May 2015 , 6:54pm by MimiFix

carrotandcream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrotandcream Posted 1 May 2015 , 11:47am
post #1 of 3

Hi All,

I am looking to test a new carrot cake recipe that includes a half a cup of rum. This cake will be for a kiddo, so I would like to exclude. Any ideas on substitutions?

Thanks so much!

Kerry

2 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 May 2015 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 3

According to studies done on alcohol retention in baked goods it is about 35% after 30 minutes and 25% after 60 minutes.  However that doesn't really tell you how much liquid would be retained from the alcohol.  It really just tells you how much alcohol will "burn off".  

Since you are testing out the results, try baking without substituting for the 1/2 cup of alcohol.  If you are not happy with the results, try again using 1/2 cup of water.  If you would like another recipe for carrot cake that doesn't use alcohol, I have an excellent one that I can share.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 May 2015 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 3

Have you used this recipe before? That sounds like a lot of liquid for a carrot cake. 

If it's a good recipe, it's formulated to need 1/2 cup liquid. The rum is there as a flavoring, so you can easily substitute another liquid, such as juice, cold tea, water, milk, cider, etc. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%