How To Charge For A Naked Wedding Cake

Business By camomama5 Updated 6 Oct 2015 , 7:32pm by costumeczar

camomama5 Posted 1 May 2015 , 11:46am
post #1 of 19

In relation to your normal price, how would you charge for a naked wedding cake? They are so ugly. But anyway, are we expected to charge less? Wondering what is normal and what other bakers typically would charge. Thanks! 

18 replies
kakeladi Posted 1 May 2015 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 19

The one and only I made I charged just a bit less for.  Don't remember exactly but say 25 to 50 cents a serving less.

costumeczar Posted 1 May 2015 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 19

I made a couple for a wedding tomorrow and I charged exactly the same as my regular cakes. Most of the time that goes into a wedding cake is in the consults, paperwork, shopping, cleaning, baking and that kind of stuff. For the naked cake I saved a lot of time on the decorating, obviously, but that's not much compared to the overall time. You also have to put something on the naked cakes (usually) like fresh fruit, so there's another cost to it.

camomama5 Posted 2 May 2015 , 1:39am
post #4 of 19

Thank you guys. That makes sense. However, why do all these articles (directed at brides, of course) talk about how much money you will save by getting a naked cake? Ggrrrrrrrr..........

AAtKT Posted 2 May 2015 , 11:46am
post #5 of 19

Those articles also tell brides that they will save money by getting a dummy cake and kitchen cakes... When in reality it costs just as much or even more sometimes....

klan30 Posted 2 May 2015 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 19

I charge less for naked cakes.  They use less ingredients and take less time.  No expensive ganache or fondant and no decorations = less expensive.

Jedi Knight Posted 2 May 2015 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 19

When, oh when, is this naked cake trend going to go away?

-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2015 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 19

Quote by @Jedi Knight on 1 hour ago

When, oh when, is this naked cake trend going to go away?

yesterday i wish

kakeladi Posted 3 May 2015 , 1:07am
post #9 of 19

Yeah, it should have gone away yrs ago!

camomama5 Posted 3 May 2015 , 1:22am
post #10 of 19

They're ugly. Real ugly. 

costumeczar Posted 3 May 2015 , 2:00am
post #11 of 19

After finishing four tiers in 40 minutes the other day, they're my favorite.

costumeczar Posted 3 May 2015 , 2:01am
post #12 of 19

And wedding magazines are there to sell dress ads, the articles are just filler written by people who have no experience with real weddings.

-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2015 , 1:08pm
post #13 of 19

i like the ones that have the icing between the layers kind of pooching out and while roughly surfaced the icing is evenly displayed between the layers and the sides of the layers are all smooth and pretty out of the pan -- rustic charm --

but the orphaned step child rough iced cakes with dots and patches of cake showing through smeared icing -- it's a half dressed half assed cake -- blech no skill -- here now -- next they are going to start piping over that exposed brick -- probably already have -- it's like building a brick wall and smearing the mortar all over unskilled and ugly -- like a five year old on the loose --

misdeamenor, cease and desist, get you (in general) some skills like scraping scrolls or stripes through to the surface of the cake make it decorative just leaving spatula marks and cake showing is low class -- the emperor's new clothes

phew i feel much better now

kakeladi Posted 5 May 2015 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 19

Don't any of you worry about the cake being dry/stale when you make those?  That was my biggest worry.  People eating them do not realize how quickly cake can dry out and will think the baker put out an inferior product.

-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2015 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 19

yes, kakeladi, i know i worried and surely i'm not alone but doramoreno suggested using a gelatin based glaze, that goes on the edges clear -- which of course is brilliant of her -- the post is buried here somewhere under the avalanche of unfortunate (probably criminal) spam -- but anyhow there's that -- there's a recipe for it somewhere too -- 

but the ones that just show shoddy smeary workmanship blech not for me

camomama5 Posted 6 May 2015 , 12:46am
post #16 of 19

I spent some time looking through naked cakes the other day and I see the differences now K8memphis. I agree with you on that style and skill level. And yes I worried about them drying out too. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 6 May 2015 , 8:02am
post #17 of 19

Some of them have a very thin crumb coating on them - they call them shabby chic.  I guess it would help with the cake drying out but they just look like unfinished cakes.  When these brides look back at their wedding albums they are going to have regrets.

JustBakedSLO Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 4:33am
post #18 of 19

I don't like to make them unless they are crumb coated - definitely don't want to serve dry cake! This was the first one I did, and it was nerve wracking! Those layers had to be absolutely perfect, so I don't charge much less. I think you're right on with $.25 to $.50 less per serving.

*Last edited by JustBakedSLO on 6 Oct 2015 , 4:53am
costumeczar Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 7:32pm
post #19 of 19

I did another one and didn't charge any less for it either. It took a ton of fruit to use on it, and I had to decorate it on-site because of the fruit piled on it, so that took an extra hour of my time, plus the extra shopping time since you can't buy fruit ahead of time and expect it to still look good anymore. 

As far as drying out goes, I save the pieces when I level my cakes and toss them in a bowl for the scavengers in my family to eat, and they'll sit there for hours on end and still be fine. I think the idea that a cake will suddenly have all the moisture in it sucked out if it sits out for a few hours is greatly exaggerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%