(Team) Cake Decorating Contest At Work

Decorating By dropofrain2 Updated 7 May 2015 , 1:07pm by -K8memphis

dropofrain2 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 17

Hello! I need your help/suggestions.

Every year at work we have some kind of funny contests/challenges as team members. The winning team gets bragging rights for a year and the team picture placed in the hallway. Last year it was to build/make something similar to a state fair game. We had outside  judges coming over, and the whole department had fun playing those games afterwards. This year they came up with the idea of having a contest in decorating a sheet cake. Again,  teams were assigned randomly, we only have $20 to buy our supplies for decorating (utensils, tools are extra) and 45 minutes to complete........ So, any ideas on what is the best approach to tackle this challenge? Cakes will be judged on this criteria:

Theme, Creativity, Design, Aesthetic Appeal.

16 replies
dropofrain2 Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 17

no suggestions or ideas? :-(

kakeladi Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 17

I had a reply all ready to send w/pix for you but somehow it got lost before I could send it :(

Go to 'kakeladi' then to 'profile'  where you will see all my pictures.  Yes, you will have to scroll through the whole album but there are many ideas that might help you.  If that doesn't work for you let me know..........but it might be awhile before I can reply to you as Mozilla Foxfire (the browser I use to get on line) has been down for days  --- today I'm at the public library.

Hope that helps you some. 

-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 17

is your company logo easy to replicate? you could draw a template and use that for your outline then fill it in with buttercream and pat out the piping lines with a smooth towel -- that will have great impact

you could get a picture of your team in a great location, again maybe by the name of the company -- laminate it and placed that on your cake -- or you could get an edible image -- would take half your bank but...

a floorplan of the building with a picture or stick person for each member of your team in their work location

like if you work in a hospital e.r. you could draw the "doors" to the er -- simply two rectangles -- write "E.R." and a special slogan -- assorted parapheralia like hypos, bedpans, blood transfusions, used band aids -- easy if you have fondant --

you could buy some sprinkles & things like that for the ones who can't pipe borders or mold 

i don't really understand what all your bank has to cover and how many people need tasks?

one person could make an extra snazzy board with whatever foil and decor you can muster -- again something that reflects your jobs would work great -- 

a couple people could apply the sprinkles while the others pipe and draw and mold

i would get some royal icing (easier to clean up) and fondant and have a practice session -- see who has the different talents-

drop flowers are easy -- a basket weave is easy -- 

just tried to toss out a few brainstorm type ideas -- i hope you win!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 17

is your company logo easy to replicate? you could draw a template and use that for your outline then fill it in with buttercream and pat out the piping lines with a smooth towel -- that will have great impact

you could get a picture of your team in a great location, again maybe by the name of the company -- laminate it and placed that on your cake -- or you could get an edible image -- would take half your bank but...

a floorplan of the building with a picture or stick person for each member of your team in their work location

like if you work in a hospital e.r. you could draw the "doors" to the er -- simply two rectangles -- write "E.R." and a special slogan -- assorted parapheralia like hypos, bedpans, blood transfusions, used band aids -- easy if you have fondant --

you could buy some sprinkles & things like that for the ones who can't pipe borders or mold 

i don't really understand what all your bank has to cover and how many people need tasks?

one person could make an extra snazzy board with whatever foil and decor you can muster -- again something that reflects your jobs would work great -- 

a couple people could apply the sprinkles while the others pipe and draw and mold

i would get some royal icing (easier to clean up) and fondant and have a practice session -- see who has the different talents-

drop flowers are easy -- a basket weave is easy -- 

just tried to toss out a few brainstorm type ideas -- i hope you win!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 17

i mean it would help to know how many on your team, what does the money cover, and where do you work

dropofrain2 Posted 1 May 2015 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 17

There are 5 of us on the team. I work for the HR department at the university. And money could be only used for sprinkles, edible decorations, candy, food coloring etc. Piping bags, spatulas, bowls and such - we can bring our own.  We had a brief meeting with the 3 people this morning (two others were not available). And it seems like they are leaning towards diversity theme...... I am from Ukraine, one lady is from Israel, Jorge is Hispanic, and two others more or less are American (well, for simplicity of this statement). So we came up with four flags at the corners and maybe a globe made out of rice krispies in the middle? (I honestly would take something easier, like Candyland theme and run with it, but)

-K8memphis Posted 1 May 2015 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 17

you could use store bought rk treat and keep the globe on the small side for a win -- the globe is a great idea -- will the flags correspond to pinpoints on the globe? oooh i like that -- pretty adventurous but if peeps can handle it -- the globe is easy

no no no the globe should have the school as the main point of interest -- maybe? diversity of the school or just diversity?

i like it

can yous pull it off? :)

kakeladi Posted 1 May 2015 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 17

Yeah, like your idea.  run with it :)

-K8memphis Posted 1 May 2015 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 17

you got our two votes already! hahahahaha

i'm polish and 'southern', french scottish british aka heinz -- what are you kakeladi? diversity diverging all over lol

dropofrain2 Posted 1 May 2015 , 8:40pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks for replies. Made me feel much more relaxed about the challenge.

I am trying to figure out if pre-made fondant and pre-colored rice krispies would be OK... what's the difference if I bring store bought fondand OR made it at home from marshmallows and powdered sugar ? The difference is $$$$ big bucks for store bought, i would say. Same thing with rk. We also decided to hide gummy bears inside of the globe (they would represent people of all colors). So, they will spill out when globe is cut ;-)

-K8memphis Posted 1 May 2015 , 9:38pm
post #12 of 17

gummy bears are good -- having the gummy bears standing atop the globe 'holding hands' in a line would make a great visual too and much easier than hollowing out the rk in 45 minutes and decorating it to look like a globe without it caving in -- third picture down 

http://www.kidzworld.com/article/27429-reducing-your-carbon-footprint

or you could have the globe cracked in half and all the little gummy bears all piled up and piled out already and walking/running/swimming/driving/parachuting/etc. over to the college, walking up a stack of books set up like stair steps --

pre colored rice krispie treats? you're not covering it with fondant or something? in fact candy clay aka modelling chocolate might be better

kakeladi Posted 2 May 2015 , 4:09pm
post #13 of 17

Quote by @-K8memphis on 20 hours ago

i'm polish and 'southern', french scottish british aka heinz -- what are you kakeladi? diversity diverging all over lol

I'm Saxon.  Not much diversity there :)

dropofrain2 Posted 4 May 2015 , 3:03am
post #14 of 17

thank you K8memphis for your suggestions :-)

I actually have a great update--- we are allowed to pre-make decorations at home and 45 minutes are to decorate the cake. Because I don't want to take over the whole process, one of my co-workers tried to make a globe out of RK and she said it collapsed :-( .. So we may just make it solid and hollow out a small section to put gummy bears in. I never used candy melts to cover anything, Is it easy to work with? I think it may be more forgiving than fondant (covering all imperfections). How do I make it to stick to RK? this weekend was crazy busy so I did not have any time to work on it. Hopefully, I still have time! 

-K8memphis Posted 4 May 2015 , 3:55am
post #15 of 17

i would use a microplane to smooth out the rkt and either candy clay aka modeling choco or fondant -- it just sticks on there -- i buy the 'almond bark' from the grocery store -- the vegetable oil 'chocolate' i add vanilla powder to it -- 

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Candy-Clay-1

yes it's easy to work with because i'm used to it though but you should have no problems -- it is heat sensitive 

dropofrain2 Posted 7 May 2015 , 5:18am
post #16 of 17

thanks for suggesting candy clay. it was very easy to use. Unfortunately, we did not win 1st place, although our cake was a winner in a design category. Some bakers were saying that we should have win because our techniques were most complex but the judges were students- athletes so they went for a fun looking cake. I've learned a lot about people in our Department- we have awesome bakers/cake decorators and tough competitors. If I knew how to post pictures in this thread, I would definitely post it. Thank you  @-K8memphis

-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2015 , 1:07pm
post #17 of 17

congratulations! and you are very welcome

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%