How To Get A Shiny Plastic Look On The Fondant - Airbrush?

Decorating By Jasmin32 Updated 29 Apr 2015 , 12:05am by -K8memphis

Jasmin32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmin32 Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

I have to create a cake just like this one this weekend, I love how shiny and plastic looking this one looks!

I've heard of a few different techniques of getting that wet look, but I don't know what I'll be able to achieve as I am airbrushing the red on. I learned a while ago that airbrushing a red cake was so much better than trying to work with red fondant, plus it's much cheaper.

So once I've sprayed the cake red, if I was to brush it with piping gel, or shortening etc I'm worried it will smear the red colour which is on it!

Is there anything I can airbrush on it which will leave a shine, but wont cause the red to run? Has anyone ever airbrushed a watered down piping gel?

http://cdn2-blog.hwtm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/vintage-car-cake.jpg

Thank you kindly for any responses.

Jasmin

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 12:03am
post #2 of 3

gum arabic + water = nice & shiny when it dries

i've never air brushed this over anything -- i've just brushed it onto already colored fondant/marzipan but it works great that way -- can't see why it wouldn't work through an airbrush -- hey you might could add the gum arabic to the red color? you could try it anyhow -- i hope it doesn't clog your airbrush -- 

i wouldn't touch my air brush job with anything because it will mar it -- another air brushing is the only thing i would try

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 12:05am
post #3 of 3

edible flake glitter is gum arabic and that works to dissolve in water -- and you can get a little jar of the powder from global sugar art and lots of places probably from your local dedicated cake store (not like hobby lobby) coupla bucks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%