Hershey's Choco Cake Questions

Baking By craftybanana2 Updated 28 Apr 2015 , 8:21pm by mommyofnine

craftybanana2 Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 2

Hi, I've made the Hershey's chocolate cake several times as cupcakes and only once as a cake. When I made it as a cake, I added alcohol (creme de cacao) and the top was sticky and seemed undercooked (it also tasted funny). The rest of the cake was fine, just the top-middle was sticky, it got cut off anyways, but still. I saw that Mimi reccomended that it sticky tops could be a result of too much moisture, so should I decrease the sugar if making it in cake form again?

Also, I tried adding Kaluah coffee liquor to it once, and it tasted weird. Is that normal.... I thought the liquor would just 'enhance' the chocolate, not make it taste funny. I only added 3 tablespoons. To the white chocolate frosting I added one tablespoon and it tasted fine. My taste testers were overjoyed with the combo and they are picky when evaluating something. Maybe it was weird to me because I don't drink or didn't use the right amount?

Another thing, how much cinnamon, if any does anyone add? I tried 2 teaspoons in one batch and couldn't tell it was there at all. Maybe up it to one tablespoon?

And how do you people get filling that is more than 1/8"? I put in some cherry pie filling(drained and squished) with a thick buttercream dam and the everything oozed out so there was only a thin layer (was a two layer cake). We ended up using the extra pie filling as a topping. I tried to use the "heavy tile" settling method (but with a book) and it fell over, was kinda funny actually! I was hoping for something more like a 1/4" thick filling since my brother likes black forest, is that only possible with light cakes and icing-fillings? I'll probably be making another someday.

One last thing, has anyone made cake-cookies with this? I've used box mixes, but was wondering about scratch cake-cookies.

And I'm done, for now at least!

1 reply
mommyofnine Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 2

I'm not sure about all of your questions, but the top of my Hershey's chocolate cake is always sticky, but my cake is always good. 

Also, I saw a tutorial  about filling. They used the cake pan they baked their cake in and put the bottom layer back in the pan, the amount of  desired filling and topped it with the next layer.  They froze it and used a torch around the side to get it out. I haven't tried it yet but I am eager to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%