Real Rope

Decorating By aluvs2bake Updated 4 May 2015 , 10:43pm by Frank68

aluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aluvs2bake Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 2:53am
post #1 of 11

The bride want real rope on the cake.  The bottom two tiers will be fake, but the top is not.  Is there a way to make a rope food safe?  She sent me the rope and it looks like the rope in this picture.  Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you! 

10 replies
Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 7:29am
post #2 of 11

You could put a strip of clear acetate in-between the icing and the rope/twine.  Clear acetate can be purchased in craft stores or chocolate/candy sections of cake decorating stores.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 11:26am
post #3 of 11

ask her if she would want to eat french fries or sandwiches tied with (unsanitary) rope -- rope as you know is so easily made from fondant -- I wouldn't make/serve that to anyone -- it's worse than risky -- the bride is asking you to be irresponsible -- just say no is what I would do --

rope can easily be incorporating into the reception in any number of ways -- there's no reason for it to on the food

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 11:36am
post #4 of 11

and y'know what your bride would probably say yes she would eat the fries tied with dirty rope -- it's her choice -- but the greater point is that she should answer "no" to serving that to anyone else especially her loved ones and so should you

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 11

Lol - love the answer

aluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aluvs2bake Posted 4 May 2015 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 11

I am still looking for acetate right now, but if I can not find it, I am going to see if cellophane is strong enough.  I also was told by someone to maybe use a satin ribbon that is the same color as the cake.  So I am going to try these things and see if it works out.  Thanx for your suggestions!

-K8memphis Posted 4 May 2015 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 11

to answer your original question no there is no way to make rope food safe -- to continue is to take great risk with stranger's health

my rule of thumb is if i would do this to the baby's porridge, or grandma's mashed potatoes then i would do it for the guests at xyz wedding -- bottom line it is unsafe and you bear the burden of providing safe food -- best to you -- decision's yours

there are many other ways to incorporate rope into the design and retain your integrity

good luck

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 4 May 2015 , 10:25pm
post #9 of 11

@K8memphis you are totally right, but as she said her bottom two tiers were fake, so those two tiers can accommodate the rope/twine (as they will not be consumed).  

@aluvs2bake - the loose fibres from the rope/twine will still be a issue (might get air-born), so you could spray thoroughly with clear lacquer or hairspray or olive oil before attaching to the bottom 2 tiers of the cake.

-K8memphis Posted 4 May 2015 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 11

ohhhhh gooood -- i should have gone back and re-read that -- phew so happy!

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 4 May 2015 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 11

Confectioner's Glaze comes in an aerosol albeit it's a bit pricey (around $30). It does last a long time and you can spray it on the rope to prevent loose fibers from falling. A lot easier than painting on clear lacquer. It will dry hard to the touch.

Frank

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%