Cake Measurements

Baking By Rookie72 Updated 28 Apr 2015 , 8:08am by Rookie72

Rookie72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rookie72 Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all,

I am a beginner at baking. Have only made a few basic cakes but working my way up slowly!

My daughter wants a My Little Pony themed rainbow layered birthday cake. She also likes chocolate cakes. So I thought I would make a rainbow layered cake with chocolate ganache filling in between the fillings and sides and then cover with fondant all around. Is this possible? Not overly fond of buttercream but is that the only way out if covering with fondant?

Also ideally would like to have one single tiered cake for 20 servings. Could I please have an idea if I can do this with two 10" round cake pans or will I need something larger? 

Thanks x

2 replies
Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 2:35am
post #2 of 3

According to Wilton serving chart 10" round serves 38 persons if you cut piece s 1×2" and your cake is 4" tall. So you should be ok baking 10" cake for 20 people.Cut bigger pieces or have leftovers. So don't need anything bigger. 

Rookie72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rookie72 Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 8:08am
post #3 of 3

Thanks a lot. Does anyone have a great recipe for a chocolate ganache filling please? Also if I want to use chocolate whipped cream instead of buttercream filling will I still need buttercream on the outsides in order to cover with fondant? How many days in advance can I make the filling (with chocolate whipped cream) please?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%