If You've Switched To Ganache Only....

Business By Jinkies Updated 2 May 2015 , 3:37am by Magic Mouthfuls

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 9

Just wondering....I've been working quite a bit with Ganache lately and I am really liking it for covering cakes under fondant.  Has anyone switched to Ganache only for under fondant?  If so, what do your clients think?  

8 replies
crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 2:51am
post #2 of 9

I have just started using ganache, and everyone loves it, especially under fondant.

PamelaJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PamelaJane Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 3:01am
post #3 of 9

That's all I use now. My clients LOVE it and it has greatly improved my "canvas" for decorating. I get nice sharp edges.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 7:32am
post #4 of 9

It's the preferred medium in Australia - and its totally yummmo

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 9:52am
post #5 of 9

Yep, it is expected in Australia and allows you to get a much cleaner, sharper look.

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 9

Awesome!  Thank you all so much!  I do believe I am going to switch to strictly Ganache.  

sweetnaomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnaomi Posted 1 May 2015 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 9

Isn't it more expensive to cover in ganache?  Are folks generally ok with paying more for sharp edges?  Also, can it be used in hot/humid weather or does it fare similarly to buttercream in this regard?   (I don't sell cakes, but I'm kind of in love with the look of ganached cakes...)

gretnagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gretnagrl Posted 1 May 2015 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 9

It fares far better than buttercream. 

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 2 May 2015 , 3:37am
post #9 of 9

The ingredients for ganache are more expensive than for swiss meringue buttercream or american buttercream.  However, it takes about 10 mins to make up a batch of ganache in comparison to 45 mins to make a batch of SMBC - so the labour price easily topples the cost of ingredients.  

In Australia, ABC is not a desirable buttercream, it is too grainy and sickly sweet for our tastes.  

In hot humid weather, people recommend shortening over butter.  But as far as shortening (ie Crisco) goes for us, it costs about $17 a 1 pound tub, vs real butter at $3 per pound and chocolate about $5-$6 per pound.  (We also think shortening tastes weird and has an unpleasant mouthfeel to us Aussies).  

White/Milk choc ganache handles temps comparable to 'butter' buttercream and dark chocolate ganache handles temps comparable to 'shortening' buttercreams.

Sharp edges can be obtained with both SMBC and Ganache - its all in the method. 

Quote by @sweetnaomi on 8 hours ago

Isn't it more expensive to cover in ganache?  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%