Aargh! Seven Tier Wedding Cake Help!

Decorating By cake.hs Updated 26 Apr 2015 , 5:50pm by cake.hs

cake.hs Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 7:51am
post #1 of 8

I've been asked to make a humongous 7 tier wedding cake. Bearing in mind 3 tier is the largest I have done, this is stressing me out! Does anyone have any key points for me to take in to consideration?  In particular stacking and transporting?  

Thank You!!  

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 8:53am
post #2 of 8

box everything in easy to carry sealed containers, plastic organizer boxes or clean shipping/moving boxes being mindful of the weight - so probably keep the bottom tier separate just depending on the sizes --

cut all your dowel within each tier the same length -- don't insert straws and cut them level with the top of the cake -- insert one, mark the height and cut each of them for that tier that length --

3 tiers, 7 tiers, 10 tiers, no big deal -- just take it one step at a time

cake.hs Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 9:10am
post #3 of 8

Thank you k8memphis.  My bottom tier is a 16 inch cake dummy, do you think it would work if I was to stack the first three tiers (16,14 and 12) before getting to the venue? I've tried looking for the SPS system but can't get hold of the exact thing in the UK so worried about the stability of the cake.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 8

y'know if you're not shy about stacking on site why not give yourself a break and do the 16x14 then the 12 alone then the 10x8 then the 6x4 -- that's what i would do -- do the 12 by itself so that's it's not to heavy to be hovered/hovering over the 16x14 to get stacked on top -- but you could deliver the 16x14x12 stacked altogether although it's pretty heavy even with the 16 being a dummy -- either way --

oh and this is why i use the 3/4 inch hollow dowel -- you can stick you finger in them and pull them up a bit so that when you stack the next tier you have a second to get your hands out of the way while the dowel sink down -- and i use pruning shears to cut them or a pvc pipe cutter --

Frank68 Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 8

I like K8memphis' recommendation on stacking some of them prior to delivery. It's definitely daunting to go from 3 to 7 tiers. Definitely look into SPS, that's a lot of trust to put into wooden dowels IMO. I find them the cheapest at Oasis Supply (http://www.oasissupply.com/) for both the plates and the 4" dowels (or greater). 

Some other things to keep in mind:

There is a difference in type of cake dummies you can buy. The quality of what you get at Michael's, ACmoore etc is not the same as what you get from a place like guildcraft foam. You want a very smooth, good quality cake dummy so you have that much less trouble covering with fondant. I buy all mine from http://guildcraftfoam.com/ - the quality is great and they're inexpensive. They cut everything to order so pre-order in advance.

Another thing to think about, I believe the taller cakes look better when you have 5" tiers. not the standard 4". That might be my personal preference though .

Good luck,

cake.hs Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 8

Gosh thank you so much k8memphis,  leaving the 12 inch separate is such a good idea!  

Thank you Frank68, unfortunately I'm not in the US and shipping for these things are a little too high. 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 8

frank -- i could not agree with you more about the 5" cakes looking better especially on the poppa and momma bear tiers -- sometimes i decrease the height of the tiers as i go up the cake -- a 4" tall 16" cake looks a little short compared to the rest of it -- good point

cake.hs Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 8

Ah that's great to know. I bought a 3 inch cake dummy so will get that changed. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%