Help!!!

Baking By val0910 Updated 26 Apr 2015 , 10:15pm by -K8memphis

val0910 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val0910 Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, Im baking a birthday cake for my friend and im using a marshmallow fondant in wich i add some pure vanilla extract. It taste exactly like marzipan at a frction on the cost. Now I dont know what kind of cake and what kind of filling is the best to go with the fondant. Im thinking chocolate would overpower the almond and i might be wrong. If you hve any idea let me know. I need to keep this as budget friendly as possible☺ Thanks

7 replies
jewlster1259 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewlster1259 Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 8

Most people do not care for the taste of fondant. It is typically for looks. When I put my cakes together, I make a regular cake, frosted with BC, then apply fondant. Most will peel the fondant off and are left with a regular cake. Using BC will also adhere the fondant to the cake. I have had several people who like the taste of my fondant and eat it plain or with any flavor of cake. I am a little confused by your question, though. You say you don't want to use marzipan but are asking if the chocolate flavor will overpower it? Sorry for the confusion.

val0910 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val0910 Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 8

For a while now I have been making a copycat marzipan with marshmallow fondant and pure almond extract. It taste the same as the real stuff and its a lot cheaper and people love it. So for this cake I want to use that fake marzipan fondant but I dont know what kind of filling or what kind of cake I should do (chocolate or vanilla) Like what would go well with that. Im thinking vanilla cake with strawberry mousse filling but im not sure. :) 

sorry for my writting, english is not my first language. 

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 8

Most people don't like traditional fondant but marshmallow fondant is a completely different story.  I find people that are adamant about not liking fondant love marshmallow fondant.  As for flavors that go with it, any flavor will taste good with it even if it tastes more like marzipan.  So vanilla with strawberry filling will work just fine.  I have done that combo many times and my favorite way to do it is vanilla cake with vanilla mousse and fresh cut strawberries, it is super yummy.

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 6:22am
post #5 of 8

I think chocolate cake and almond extract go together beautifully. Vanilla is nice too but I think the chocolate/almond combp are a perfect compliment of each other. Any time I make a chocolate cake with white buttercream I use almond extract and every time I am asked how to make the cake! HTH

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 8:59am
post #6 of 8

i love cherry with a chocolate/almond flavor -- either swirl some pie filling in with the cake batter or use it as filling -- it's awesome

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 8

YES K8memphis! Delicious combination!! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 8

high five!

Quote by @bakernoob on 19 minutes ago

YES K8memphis! Delicious combination!! 

*:-)/\:-) high five

Quote by @%username% on %date%