Advice Please!

Decorating By PrettyGirlCakes Updated 27 Apr 2015 , 3:57am by PrettyGirlCakes

PrettyGirlCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrettyGirlCakes Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 8

I started my first fondant cake dummy (doctored cake mix) last night, I got it covered and I left it overnight on the table with plastic wrap around it. This morning, I decided that I want to shaped the doctored cake a bit, so I pulled off the fondant, shaped the cake, rekneaded the fondant and started covering the cake again but this time it tore, so I think I tried at least 6 times to rework it with kneading, crisco, confection sugar, rolling it out, I tried different methods but each try left me with torn fondant once I tried fixing it around the cake. Is it not a good idea to rework fondant that has crusted overnight? Thanks for any advice.

7 replies
LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 8

No, unfortunately that doesn't work.  If you'd like to be able to do that, try using modelling chocolate.  It never dries out - just sets - but it is more expensive to make and behaves differently to fondant.

PrettyGirlCakes Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 8

O god thank you! I thought it was me! Thought I wasn't doing something right, was VERY frustrating to say the least! What can I do with this extra fondant now? Throw it away?

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 8

You couldn't still use the fondant for figures or decorative pieces, no need to throw good fondant away.  You could use it to premake flowers and use them as you need them.

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 8

I can't remember which baking blog it was, but there was a post recently about taking dried out fondant, grating it coarsely, and then using it like sprinkles.  So even if your fondant is really far gone, then depending on what colour it is, you could use it for that.

PrettyGirlCakes Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 8

Ok great thanks so much!!!!

ammcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ammcats Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 2:07am
post #7 of 8

Uh oh, hate it when that happens.  Unfortunately ( or fortunately) I love fondant.  I' d roll it out into a long sausage, then cut that into small slices, pop it in a ziplock, then every time I pass by the bag I eat a peice! Nom nom. :).  Mind you, that is only with marshmallow fondant.

PrettyGirlCakes Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 3:57am
post #8 of 8

Yes marshmallow fondant is soooo good! Lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%