Help/advice Boxing Gloves

Decorating By sweetobsesions Updated 28 Apr 2015 , 1:01am by sweetobsesions

sweetobsesions Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 9:37am
post #1 of 7

Hello, I have an order for a cake with boxing gloves on it, I am planning on making them out of rice krispie treats & covering with fondant... I have only used rice krispie treats once & I was just making pillars for a castle cake which I thought would be simple! But it wasn't :( I made the rice krispie treats myself so I think this time I'll try buying them. Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated! TIA!
*Anyone know how I can add a photo?
6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 7

rice krispie treats have limits that some of us seem to try to bypass just by not knowing -- like you found out with the towers -- but you've probably seen the decorator's on tv who have issues with rkt -- if the gloves are on the small/mini side this should work -- it's not a miracle product --

i make my own i use 5 cups rk to 1/4 c butter and a bag of marshmallows (16 oz) and vanilla -- and for extra toughness you can crush the rk in a food processor first -- 

say you are making an oak tree that is of course wider at the bottom than at the top -- rkt is perfect for that wrapped around a dowel for stability but say you want to make a big mushroom -- you will have gravity issues without proper support --

now the boxing glove is not flat it's curved and when you lay it on it's back and cover the palm portion you run the risk of it cracking see what i mean -- it can certainly be done with rkt but it's not like playdough where you make any shape and voila you're there -- let it set up overnight or days before you try to cover it -- i'd cover it with candy clay, modeling chocolate where you can cover bit by bit rather than plop down a big heavy sheet of fondant that might break it or will pull the shape out of it --

it can be down with rkt but you gotta know what you got 

johnson6ofus Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 7

Also, heating the marshmallows a bit beyond "melted" also makes it "stronger". 

http://www.craftybaking.com/howto/candy-sugar-syrup-temperature-chart

Just melting marshmallows gives a softer, better to eat RKT. Try heating the marshmallows a bit more to a harder sugar stage (not TOO much because you lose working time). I actually had one batch crystallize (I do not recommend) on me. But boy, does that make for a firm RKT!

sweetobsesions Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 7

Okay thank you! This helps a lot! Maybe I'll just make them out of cake, the custom didn't really care.

sweetobsesions Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 7

Okay thank you! This helps a lot! Maybe I'll just make them out of cake, the custom didn't really care.

sweetobsesions Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 7

Quote by @sweetobsesions on 30 seconds ago

Okay thank you! This helps a lot! Maybe I'll just make them out of cake, the customer didn't really care.

sweetobsesions Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 1:01am
post #7 of 7

Sorry for the multiple posts it won't let me delete them...

I shaped the gloves today & it worked out pretty good! Will it still be good on the 2nd? Also I would love a recipe for modelling chocolate & any tips! I haven't made it before & I was going to try to cover the rkt in modelling chocolate before fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%