Instead Of Modeling Chocolate....?

Decorating By CakePrincess16 Updated 26 Apr 2015 , 11:08am by Jinkies

CakePrincess16 Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 2:03am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone. So my first experience with modeling chocolate my elephants started melting when placed close to a window. Luckily it was the day before so I could fix it somewhat. I need to now do a mermaid. the party will be in august so Im terrified. The Coral and tail will be isomalt so would it be ok to make the body out of non toxic crayola clay? It would o ly be touching the isomalt coral and it's  made for kids so would this be ok? Thanks in advance!

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 4

i would use all edible because kids love to eat that stuff and i would use boiled sugar instead of isomalt because it can rip out your guts if you eat too much and a small portion for anyone especially a small person can be too much not to mention if they were already a little under the weather -- to me half the fun of a cake like this is getting to eat the doodads -- if they can't eat them why not just buy some mermaids & coral --

you can make a mixture of fondant with the modeling chocolate or gum paste + mc -- i've used all three together before -- if you knead in some cornstarch you can get a really nice modeling medium -- then there's marzipan too that works great, holds color well, models well and tastes great --

always keep your cakes out of the light away from the sun and heat --

CakePrincess16 Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 4:44am
post #3 of 4

I will try that mix. However  i must say I don't know anyone who eats the decorations. Fondant, gumpaste, modeling doesn't taste very good once it gets hard. At least I don't think so. most of the time pekple don't  even eat the regular fondant on the cake! Lol. I know in theory keeping the cake out of heat and light is perfect...but what happens if somene has a party outside? In Miami even in the shade it's over 80 degrees!

Jinkies Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 11:08am
post #4 of 4

I made a fish tank cake for a graduation party last year.  I used sugar for the glass and modeling chocolate for the various fish.  Kids and adults were walking around chomping on the fish AND THE GLASS! I couldn't believe it.  But, people were amazed that everything was edible and wanted to eat it.  I was a asked to cut the/serve the cake and when asked which flavor people wanted they would say, "I'll have chocolate with a piece of glass".  I was so nervous watching people crunch on sugar glass, haha!

Anyway, it was somewhere in the 80's and the party was outside but the cake was kept in the shade and there were no melting issues.  I'm in the Northeast though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%