How To Get A Sugar Solution Stickier?

Sugar Work By merrigardener Updated 25 Apr 2015 , 6:01pm by yortma

merrigardener Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Candy Makers, I am hoping you can help me! I am trying to make homemade leg sugar. Not the kind where you make a taffy-like sticky ball (there are many you-tube videos on that method). I want to make the kind where it stays a thick liquid that you warm and spread on with a popsicle stick and use muslin strips with like leg wax.  I have just tried using granulated sugar and water and boiling it to the soft ball stage, but isn't sticky enough when it cools. Is there  a different kind of sugar or an additive that will make my solution stickier? Or what temp should I take it to? Thanks for your suggestions!

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 5

honey maybe? or what about just melting the sugar without water -- but don't you reheat it a bit to use it then -- idk because i've never shaved my legs either -- i used to have about 5 hairs by my ankle but they disappeared -- i tried to tell my daughter not to shave because i never did and my legs are smooth -- but all the other girls were and she didn't want to be left out now she wished she would have listened ;)

yortma Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 5

I never heard of leg sugar before!  I just made some though I think.  Mix equal parts corn syrup and sugar.  bring to a full rolling boil for a minute or so.  Let cool until comfortable temperature and right consistency.  Spreads like wax and very sticky.  Tried it on my arm (already shaved my legs!)  Not sure it worked as well as wax.  plenty sticky but maybe not grabby enough.  Are there suppose to be advantages over wax?

merrigardener Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the ideas! The advantage is the clean up. The wax is bullet proof once it cools and so if you drop some on the floor or counter,  you have to chip it off. Also, you always have little waxy chunks stuck to your legs (or other parts!) for days after. The sugar just washes right off skin and the muslin strips. Also, you don't have to heat it up as much. With wax, it is always a fine line between having it hot enough to work with and burning yourself.  

I cut myself really badly shaving my legs years ago- I was in a rush- and I vowed I would never shave again. So I waxed for years, but then I tried the sugar product you can buy and found it so far superior. But it kind of hurts to pay $12 for a jar of sugar, so I thought I'd try to make my own. 

yortma Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 5

That makes sense!  I hope it works.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%