Help With A Dummy Cake!!

Decorating By Meltyd09 Updated 24 Apr 2015 , 10:17pm by Bogginboy

Meltyd09 Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 8

I'm doing a steam punk wedding next weekend and they wanted a dummy cake. When I went to buy styrofoam rounds a lady talked me into using paper mâché boxes instead because they're way cheaper, and to use royal icing underneath the fondant to really stick it to those boxes. That night I go to cover the boxes, I use Royal icing like she suggests and put the fondant on top, but the fondant kept sliding down the sides and tearing and there were air bubbles underneath the fondant everywhere! It was a disaster! I've never once had air bubbles under my fondant, and I've never had it literally slide down the side of the cake and tear. Should I just ditch the box and buy some styrofoam? (my husband suggested since styrofoam and cake are porous and the box isn't that's why there were air bubbles.) I really don't want to go out and buy more stuff. Also should I just use buttercream under the fondant instead of Royal icing? Would that be why it slid and tore do badly? I'm worried about the buttercream going bad in the week until the wedding. Please help!! 

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 8

you can just moisten the foam and apply the fondant -- i don't know or have heard of anyone who uses those boxes -- sometimes people stack up cardboard circles to use as dummies -- i hope you can return them -- was that lady a caker?

as far as moistening -- some people use a mister to spray it on -- i walk over to the sink and run water over it -- sling it off and apply the fondant ;)

-K8memphis Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 8

but it's probably more the condition of the royal icing rather than the box itself -- was it dry? did you do anything so the fondant would adhere to it?

also something as simple as sanding the edge off will stop the tearing -- you'd want to do that to the foam dummies -- but that might work for the ones you have too

cake-o-holic Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 8

I'd go with styrofoam..cover it in buttercream or spray water...it always works for me.  Never heard of anyone use those boxes though.

Meltyd09 Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 8

Ya, the lady has a cake shop, she says she always uses those paper mâché/ cardboard boxes. It seemed like a great idea at the time, seeing as it's like 1/4 of the price of styrofoam. The Royal icing seemed fine at the time, until the fondant started sliding. Lol. Can you think of any way to stop the air bubbles without having to go out and buy styrofoam? 

Meltyd09 Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 8

Ya, the lady has a cake shop, she says she always uses those paper mâché/ cardboard boxes. It seemed like a great idea at the time, seeing as it's like 1/4 of the price of styrofoam. The Royal icing seemed fine at the time, until the fondant started sliding. Lol. Can you think of any way to stop the air bubbles without having to go out and buy styrofoam? 

-K8memphis Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 8

call her!

Bogginboy Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 8

if you've got rice crispy treat makings you could just use that it'd take a little more time but the whole thing would be edible so you could eat it afterwards instead of just throwing it away

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%