Wedding Cake Panic Mode

Decorating By tigercane2006 Updated 24 Apr 2015 , 7:36pm by julia1812

tigercane2006 Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 4:10am
post #1 of 6

I have a 4 tier wedding cake to do for Saturday.  Because it was going to be a busy week, I baked the cakes, filled them, and frosted them on Monday. Two layers are white cake with cream cheese icing. The other two are yellow cake with strawberry filling (fresh strawberries, corn starch, and sugar that were cooked to thicken) and strawberry buttercream (butter, sugar, fresh strawberries puréed and reduced on the stove).

I immediately put the frosted cakes in containers in the fridge. They were in the fridge about a day and a half when I got advice to wrap and freeze them. I did that yesterday so they were in the freezer about a day. They're now back thawing in the fridge after about a day in the freezer.

I plan to cover them in fondant tomorrow or Saturday before I take them to the wedding.

I have so many questions that I thought of way too late. Will the strawberry filling make the cake soggy inside. Will it spoil by Saturday?

after they be thawed in the fridge, should I let them get to room temp before I cover them in fondant?

Do I have to wait until the last minute to cover these cakes in fondant since they should probably be refrigerated? If I cover the cakes with fondant, do I need to put them back in the fridge?  The reception is an hour away so if I take them out of the fridge, travel, and leave them out for a few hours, will they be ok? Saturday is supposed to be cool (50s-60s) and it'll be inside.

I've not really worked with all these internal complications before and I'm so so worried that it'll taste bad, look bad, or someone will get sick.  I have time to make new ones right now but don't want to waste time, money, and energy if it'll all be ok in the end.

thanks in advance! I know I'm a worrier!

5 replies
julia1812 Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 6:41am
post #2 of 6

Hmm, I heard of people making cakes a week in advance. I personally think that it should be alright, if the strawberries were fresh, they should be sort of preserved for long enough with all the sugar to last till Saturday. And you have nothing perishable in your cake otherwise. Might even help to give the cake some moisture and not being too dry after sitting in the fridge for days. Cover them in fondant (while they're cool) today and put them back in the fridge. I do that all the time. They travel easier when chilled. The fondant will sweat after you remove them from the fridge, but by the time you reach the venue it will be okay. Don't like doing things last minute, so better start working now, then have a cup of coffee and relax. All will be okay

CWR41 Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 6

Quote by @tigercane2006 on 13 hours ago

Two layers are white cake with cream cheese icing.

The reception is an hour away so if I take them out of the fridge, travel, and leave them out for a few hours, will they be ok?

Research cream cheese icing shelf life.  I believe it can only be left unrefrigerated for 3 or 4 hours total, including stacking, decorating, traveling, displaying, serving, etc.

cakedout Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 6

First of all......breathe!   You will be ok!  :)

My advice for next time would be to freeze your cakes in advance, but wait to do all fillings and frostings until Friday. 

Your fillings and cream cheese should be fine.  As stated earlier, you can cover the cakes with fondant while they are still chilled (it's easier that way), then return to the frig.   They will most like do some sweating once they come out of the frig - just DO NOT TOUCH them!  It will evaporate and be fine.  If a bubble forms, use a straight pin & poke it at an angle (not straight on) to release the air and gently smooth back down.

Deliver and set up your cake and leave your worries on the cake table.  ;) 

julia1812 Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 6

Quote by @CWR41 on 1 hour ago

Quote by @tigercane2006 on 13 hours ago

Two layers are white cake with cream cheese icing.

The reception is an hour away so if I take them out of the fridge, travel, and leave them out for a few hours, will they be ok?

Research cream cheese icing shelf life.  I believe it can only be left unrefrigerated for 3 or 4 hours total, including stacking, decorating, traveling, displaying, serving, etc.

Oops, I missed that one. But still, it should be fine. You'll transport the cake chilled. And it won't be removed from the fridge until then (except for the fondant covering).

julia1812 Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 6

And yes, think 4 hrs is the maximum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%