Baking Pan Dilemma!!

Baking By kajathestudent Updated 26 Apr 2015 , 11:57am by Cevamal

kajathestudent Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone. I just joined the site so i could ask this question.

Ok, im having a baking practical on monday (im in the 9th grade and its the first time we'll be doing cake baking) i found a recipe that is a 3 layer cake and it uses 3 9inch pans. The thing is, when i tested the recipe (at home with mom helping, and recipe sized down, using a 9 inch pan) the cake didn't rise much. i tried it a second time with more baking powder and rised slightly more but it was still flat.

I'll be using the recipe to make a 2 layer cake without sizing it. should i use 2 9inch pans or 2 8inch pans? 

an 8 inch pan holds 4 cups of batter while a 9 inch pan holds 6 cups.

also how many cups of batter will the recipe make (estimation) ?

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

1/2  cup vegetable shortening

2 cups granulated sugar

5 eggs

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup whole milk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

4 replies
winniemog Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 4:37am
post #2 of 5

Could your baking powder be old? You can check if it's active by seeing if it fizzes when you mix it with some water.

maybe re-try the recipe with with a new packet of baking powder? And if you want deeper layers, use the 8" tins, they might just take a few minutes more to bake than the 9" cakes. 

Good luck, and have another practice!

julia1812 Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 4:45am
post #3 of 5

The recipe holds about 8 cups. For two 8" layers you need 6 cups in total and for 2 9" layers 10 2/3 cups. I would downsize the recipe. By 25% and make 2 8" layers. I have a recipe too which doesn't rise much, but it's delicious. For that I use slightly more to get to 4" night. So, maybe make three 8" layers?

julia1812 Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 4:46am
post #4 of 5

And I would use 1 tablespoon baking powder.

Cevamal Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 11:57am
post #5 of 5

Do you have reason to believe this recipe is a good one? Unless you or someone else you know has made it successfully, or it's very well reviewed, I'd change recipes. There are tons on this site alone.

I'd buy fresh baking powder, too.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%