Retured Cake Stand (Dirty)

Lounge By SweetDesire88 Updated 7 May 2015 , 12:29pm by Mr_Gray

SweetDesire88 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 11

Hey bakers and cakers. I'm a newbie to the cake business and I'm really enjoing it. But as all you guys know  there is a down side  to it. Bad customers. How many of you agree with me?  

I recently did a wedding cake and well had to chase down my cake stand, to my surprise a week later after the wedding the stand was dirty. Normally when  my cake stands are returned are clean.  I was a little upset. I never thought I would  happen to me. 

Any of you gone through something like this?

10 replies
Jedi Knight Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 11

What kind of deposit do you take för equipment rentals/loans?

What are the specifics of your equipment contract?

Alisa555 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 11

I always take a deposit for the value of the stand (just in case I need to replace it due to damage or no return) - people are pretty quick to get it returned if there is anywhere from $50 to $150 involved:)

I ask for it to be cleaned, but I understand that the clean up after the wedding can be a bit hectic and it is usually being done by someone that has no idea what the details of the contract were.  Often it is the venue staff that has been hired for clean up.  

Really ...as long as it is not damaged or missing parts I am just happy to get it back.

costumeczar Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 11

If that's the worst customer you've had to deal with count yourself lucky. In a few years of doing this, this one will look really mild in comparison.

SweetDesire88 Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 12:00am
post #5 of 11

I rented the stand for 50 and specified that it be returned with 5 days. I didn't think I should asked to be clean. But I will ask in the future.

I'm with Alisa555 I'm glad that I got it back. 

Costumeczar lol, so true. 

Cevamal Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 11:59am
post #6 of 11

Wouldn't you wash it again before using it anyway?

I totally get that it would be nicer to get it back clean but it truly doesn't sound like a big deal.

SweetDesire88 Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 11

I know it's not a big deal. But when it was returned ( I had to pick it up 3 week later ) to me it was nasty. Someone tried to clean it with napkins and the napkins were stuck to it.  

maybenot Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 12:02am
post #8 of 11

Dirty, but not damaged?  Wouldn't bother me a bit.  I'd be washing it, anyway, so no biggie.  When I get things returned from kitchens or customers,  they are usually dirty and in a trash bag.  I'm just glad to get them back intact.

You can ask that they be cleaned, but don't plan on that happening.  And if you try to charge for them being dirty, expect a nasty fight from the customer.  Actually, I'd fight that myself.

cakesbycathy Posted 7 May 2015 , 2:50am
post #9 of 11

You should not be waiting 3 weeks for the stand to be returned.   Mine need to be returned within 5 days.  If the couple is going on a honeymoon then they designate someone to be responsible for returning the stand to me.

leah_s Posted 7 May 2015 , 11:12am
post #10 of 11

If you've ever rented dishes, glasses, flatware from a rental service, they tell you not to bother washing before returning.  They're going to wash and sanitize anyway.  Dirty returns are the rental industry standard.

Mr_Gray Posted 7 May 2015 , 12:29pm
post #11 of 11

I don't bother chasing stand rentals at all - their deposit is always about 40-50% more than the stand is worth and when they return it I refund that deposit, they have 2 weeks after which if I've needed and bought a replacement it's deemed purchased from me and there are no returns - most people know it's not worth them 'buying' a cake stand for £50 so they always hurry it back to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%