Help Minecraft Sword For Tomorrow

Decorating By cristina76 Updated 23 Apr 2015 , 4:15pm by cristina76

cristina76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cristina76 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

I need to make a minecraft sword that sticks into the cake for tomorrow. I made one of gum paste yesterday (looks great) but it is not going to dry in time. Any tips... can I make it with cardboard and cover with fondant. If so how will it work and will it hold up and dry in time. It is for my twins bday tomorrow so I really do want this to happen?

Thanks for any help!!!

5 replies
Sthornton34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sthornton34 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 6

You can use a powder to add to your gumppaste that will help it dry faster. 

Sthornton34 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 6

Rice crispies would be a good alternate instead of card board. You could use a lollipop stick through it to make it stand up

Sthornton34 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 6

The powder to add to your gumppaste is Tylose. Hope this helps 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 6

hi cristina, if you read my posts in this thread http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/795067/sides-of-a-bucket-cake there should be some helpful information for you regarding cornstarch and fondant --

you can cover cardboard if you want be sure it has some bamboo skewers threaded into the corrugations or use foamcore board --

also i have a warming drawer i use to dry my fondant/gum paste pieces -- you never want to get above 150 degrees -- leaving it an oven that has a pilot light will also help -- and don't touch the items while they're warm

best to you and happy birthday to your boys!

cristina76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cristina76 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks all! I've cut it out on a foamcore board and will hope for the best! If it doesn't work at I'll grab some of their toys to put on top :)

I tried rice crispies first but since it is so thin it didn't work :(

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%