Thin Stripes Please Help

Decorating By christinariot Updated 23 Apr 2015 , 1:42am by Bobeba

christinariot Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a cake for a party next weekend and wanted to do thin vertical stripes.  I've searched the internet and can't find a video or anything that helps me do this.  I see where people just cuts strips of fondant or modeling chocolate and stick them to the cake but I was hoping for a more smooth seamless look where the stripes are formed together if that makes sense.  If I just lay the stripes out and lightly press with a rolling pin, will that work?  I imagine some will be fat and some will be wide and they won't look uniform.  Please help.  Thanks!! 

2 replies
costumeczar Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 3

The only way I've seen to do a seamless look is to do the modeling chocolate where you work it until it's really thinly attached to a base sheet of more modeling chocolate. Like this:

I've seen people try to do it by putting the sheet with the stripes on it through a pasta roller, but it never comes out perfectly straight. The easiest way to do what you're describing would be to cut thin stripes of two colors and nest them right up against each other so that they're the same thickness on the cake. There would be thin seams in between, but at least there wouldn't be a stairstep thing going on where one stripe is sitting on top of a flat area, does that make sense?

Bobeba Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 1:42am
post #3 of 3

Costumeczar. That technique is Richard Festin's. I had his DVD and the technique is actually quite simple but requires a LOT of patience. It does produce a great looking cake though and tastes delicious.

Use modelling chocolate. Roll out the chocolate, let it harden slightly and then cut. Use one of those triangle rulers to get a perpendicular edge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%