2Nd Layer Of Crumb Coating

Baking By vernie_78 Updated 22 Apr 2015 , 8:23pm by vernie_78

vernie_78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vernie_78 Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 4

Hi All,

I've read a load of blogs and watched even more video tutorials, but I still don't seem to be clear on one thing so thought I'd ask your advice. I usually (this is my 5th 'large' cake) crumb coat a thin layer of BC, refrigerate for 30 mins then take it out and put a light layer of BC just around the sides for the fondant to stick to. I noticed though that on my last 2 cakes I could see through the fondant. So my question is, after I take it out of the fridge, can I put a thicker layer of BC then cover straight away? Does this mean that the fondant will not have a smooth finish?  I hope this makes sense. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

3 replies
cait1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cait1219 Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 4

When you say you can see through the fondant, what exactly is it that you see?  The cake or the icing?  I don't think I've ever had an issue with seeing through my fondant.  Typically I crumb coat, refrigerate, then add 2nd coat of BC.  I usually keep adding BC and taking off until I get a level surface on top, straight sides, sharp corners, etc.  By the end of the whole process I'm not sure how light or thick the coating is.  I then let the cake form a crust, smooth with a paper towel and fondant smoother, brush the cake with piping gel and cover with fondant.  I need the cake to be crusted in order to smooth it out but I also need the fondant to stick which is why I brush mine with piping gel. 

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 4

Sounds like your second layer of BC needs to be thicker and you need to roll your fondant a little thicker as well.

I fill and crumb coat and refrigerate anywhere from 2 hours to overnight.  Ice with buttercream (I use the same amount as I do when the cake is  not being covered with fondant) and refrigerate for about an hour and then cover with fondant.

vernie_78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vernie_78 Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both, great help! I think the thing that I was concerned about was how to get the fondant to adhere to the cake if putting it back in the fridge for  the 2nd time. I thought that u just had to make the crumb coat a bit sticky but understand now that it's a layer within itself. Got it! Maybe I'll try the piping gel. Just finished making the BC. Cake to be delivered for Saturday :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%